My personal journey

Anything unrelated to the LHC
CharmQuark
Site Admin

My personal journey

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 am

Back in 2008 I heard about the LHC in the Sun Newspaper.....headlines WORLD WILL END NEXT WEDNESDAY.........yeah i freaked out so badly it just wasn't funny...... the thing that scared me was the hole Black Hole thing i was scared of there being nothig so for the next week i was in a bad way and then the night before i watching everything i could about it there was lots of stuff happening on the BBC I was awake all night and one of my friends stayed we sat clued to the tv holding hands because i was convinced that we was gonna die ( feels kinda stupid now they wasn't even colliding) so anyways things settled down and then the next thing you hear is that the bloody thing Broke.......this made me extremely happy i could relax but in the back on my mind I know it would be back at some point I still followed what it was upto then I heard that in Nov 2009 it would be getting switched back on and do collisions.......this freaked me out so badly it was unreal.....now I was following on Twitter so I sat by myself shaking and panicking about waht was gonna happen........I am pleased I had a very big bottle of vodka handy LOL :wtf: now from this point onwards it was my big turning point.... so things was going good :thumbup: then everything went down it was like omg omg omg what's happened so I went looking to see what i could find out....that when I came across The Portal i looked around and thought am not gonna fit in here but this is where I need to be so I joined and clicked with Chris I have freaked out on some of you over the past 9 months pretty badly and you have handled me really well now back in Dec I had thought I can either stay scared or i can face my fears head on........this is the path I chose now it's not easy getting to grips with physics when you don't know nothing about maths LOL but with a nice bit of help I am getting there........that much so I am planning to go and learn the maths and then well who knows :thumbup: might get to work at CERN in like 15 years or summit :pray: LOL so lets talk about 30th March :D my 29th Birthday and the collision date for the first 3.5TeV beams omg I was so scared :shock: but being in chat with you guys helped me so much it's unreal......now as the time got closer I was so freaking out it was unreal..........I was shaking and I had tears in my eyes i wasn't quite sure on how I should react but I managed so well i was really proud of myself....I can never thank you all enough for supporting me with everything.....I really would be lost without you all :clap: as for now well I am steady yeah I still have my freakout sometimes but if it's something I can reasearch then I do it and I do fast to calm myself as fast as possible and if I still have doubts I ask questions :whistle: anyways enough for now just thought it would be nice for you all to know how far I come and where i stand now :shifty: thanks again guys :thumbup:

CQ ;)
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Stephen

Re: My personal journey

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:35 am

Thank you for sharing!

You have definitely come a long way in overcoming your fear since our first conversation in December - maybe it was hard at times, but completely worth it :clap:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:38 am

Thank you Stephen :oops: :Heart:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

tswsl1989
LHCPortal Guru

Post by tswsl1989 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Good on you CQ :)
It can take quite a bit to face up to your fears, and you seem to have turned yourself completely about and embraced this as an interest.

I'm glad it's all more :) than :scared-yipes:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Thank you tswsl :D

It's been hard at times but I am so pleased at where i am now :happy-jumpyellow: I find myself wondering sometimes where i would be if i hadn't of this place....still scared i suppose hehe :whistle: oh well the only way is up :ugeek: once i get the maths sorted :crazy: hehe :thumbup: