conspiracy theories

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
Xymox
Site Admin

conspiracy theories

Post by Xymox » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:46 pm

I noticed in the portal web stats that we have gotten a lot of hits from http://www.godlikeproductions.com/ which is a "conspiracy forum"..

This caused me some pause...

While I would enjoy the ability to debate conspiracies surrounding the LHC, I want to be clear on my personal standpoint on this. I do not believe in conspiracies. Sorry. I consider this to be a mild form of illness.

I will be blunt in discussing these subjects but will not intervene on the forum.

So its just fine to bring these up. No problem at all. BUT as just a normal forum poster I may have opinions that will be a tad blunt.

Texanguy

Re: conspiracy theories

Post by Texanguy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Completely agree, Xymox :) conspiracy theorists are very, very paranoid,in my opinion....though they're paranoid simply for the purpose of scaring others as well. cruel people, they are. :evil:

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:00 am

Well... They dont mean to be paranoid. Its like a drug. I think they just get all wrapped up in it and it feeds on itself. I think the internet has made this worse as they can feed of each other now in a huge way.

I think its like gambling or drug use. They just cant stop and if you ask them they dont have a problem when its obvious they do.

I do think its important for them to realize it -IS- a problem and it is as addicting as any drug.

I just dont want conspiracy theory addicts out of control here in the forum spreading info that is just completely wrong, mis leading and inflammatory - the hallmarks of conspiracy theories.

Im really willing to listen and discuss these conspiracy theories but I view someone with conspiracy theories as a currently abusing addict that has lost touch with the realities of the discussed subject.

IMHO of course. This is my -personal- view on these things as well. Im just a poster on this forum. The board itself I look at as separate from my opinions and posting. I will never remove. censor or ban any person posting on any subject. So anyone should feel completely free to post anything. I will however have a possibly biased opinion on any conspiracy theory post.

spamcatcher345

Post by spamcatcher345 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:11 am

The sad truth is that the general population is, and will always be, uneducated and unintelligent. Throw a religion or two in the mix, and you get people wearing tin foil hats spouting apocalyptic gibberish.

The ultimate LHC Tin Foil Hatter
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/04/dr_dark_energy

My favorite quote...
"...global terrorists from CERN want to create the magnetic trap of Devil"

March_Hare

Post by March_Hare » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:07 am

Actually ... I enjoy reading conspiracy stuff (when I'm in the mood).

Now, wait... don't think even for a minute that I am one of them TFH loonies, for I am NOT. Somehow I find it fascinating (if a little frightening) to see this totally irrational mode of the human mind at work.

Perhaps one of the things I found most disturbing is that some posters in conspiracy forums seem to have the mindset that "there is a conspiracy, we don't know what it is, but it's there". They will believe just any BS thrown at them, without any criticism or asking any questions. It seems that some of these people wear their conspiracies like clothes: today it's UFO abductions, tomorrow it's the LHC or the Face on Mars, etc... :o

I have wondered if it would not be an interesting (and possibly important) topic for some serious research. Some of this is caused by mental disorders, but certainly not all of it, and what I'd like to know is if there are there ways to "inoculate" the general public from this...

(Yup, I'm a Social Scientist... you can tell, eh? ;) )
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Shadowdraxx » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:20 am

spamcatcher345 wrote: The ultimate LHC Tin Foil Hatter
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/04/dr_dark_energy

My favorite quote...
"...global terrorists from CERN want to create the magnetic trap of Devil"
ahh its Ivan again good ol Ivan

spamcatcher345

Post by spamcatcher345 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:46 am

Another favorite...

"I give the following probabilities:
A. 10% - magnetic collapse will start at 0.45 TeV;
B. 50% - magnetic collapse will start at 3.5 TeV, if A did not happen;
C. 70% - magnetic collapse will start at 7 TeV, if B did not happen.
30% I leave to my mistake."

160%? Fascinating theory Ivan... I was under the impression that 100% included all potential circumstances... If this guy cant add 10+50+70+30 why should any credence be given to his theory?

"Professionals as a rule just hate and laugh."

I am not a professional, yet I know to laugh. It is difficult to "hate" someone I have never interacted with, but I suppose I could "hate" this nonsense because his ramblings may actually influence a reader and cause a domino effect of stupidity.

I suppose one must be on an equivalent level of ignorance to accept this hogwash. Somebody should take away his internet privileges...

spamcatcher345

Post by spamcatcher345 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:52 am

March_Hare wrote:Some of this is caused by mental disorders, but certainly not all of it, and what I'd like to know is if there are there ways to "inoculate" the general public from this...

(Yup, I'm a Social Scientist... you can tell, eh? ;) )
I suggest that religious people be included in this study. Quite simply, religion is a cognitive delusion. Love the idea of "inoculating" the masses!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Conspiracy theories can be fun, as long as they are not fear mongering like the LHC people. I don't like it when they try to scare people who already have a hard time going to sleep at night.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 am

How do we define "conspiracy"?

Is a group of financiers secretly lining their pockets at the general public's expense a conspiracy?

Is a board of directors plotting a takeover a conspiracy?

Is a group of politicians organizing a bit of underhanded vote buying a conspiracy?

I rather suspect that you can legitimately call of these conspiracies.

In a world where we are surrounded by conspiracies like these, and reminded of them almost every day by the media (who will make up a conspiracy if they cannot find one),
you can hardly blame people for believing there are other, further reaching conspiracies.

So....are there conspiracies out there that we know nothing about? Of course.
Might some of them affect us negatively? Of course.

Is the LHC involved in one? I doubt it.

The point is, that you can't just say "don't believe in conspiracies". The evidence is against you.
Each conspiracy theory has to be examined on its own to determine its substance, and sometimes this is not at all easy. :think:

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Sun May 02, 2010 6:48 am

I think it's rather "don't believe in conspiracy theories".

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Kasuha:

I don't think you read my post properly.

It is easily provable that there are many conspiracies in the world.

If I produce a theory that (for instance) groups of financiers are planning to get richer at our expense, this is a conspiracy theory. It is also correct. If you don't believe it, you haven't been paying attention to the news.

Therefore some conspiracy theories are correct.

My previous post referred to the difficulty of determining WHICH conspiracy theories are correct, and WHICH are the products of deranged minds.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 am

I don't think you are wrong, what you wrote is correct. I just think it's about something slightly different.

If you have a theory that someone is plotting a conspiracy you should go to police and tell them to take care about it.

If someone is spreading his theory about something and tells you that everybody, including government, police, doctors and scientists is trying to keep it secret and he's the only one brave enough to tell everybody ... then he's most probably wrong.