Hi All!

New users should check this forum first. Say hi.
March_Hare

Hi All!

Post by March_Hare » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:44 pm

With an experiment named ALICE, and all this talk of "Down the Rabbit Hole", I just *had* to have an Alice In Wonderland forum name. It's my favourite book.

Sorry if you find it cheesy... :lol:

First I got to get something off my chest...
I had NO IDEA that so much LHC info is publicly accessible. After finding out about it (following publication in The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk), I found myself coming back here all the time... Awesome job you are doing here Xymox! Kudo's!!!

Let me say that again: KUDO'S!!!!!!! YAY!

Next, some stuff about myself:
- Dutch, 43 years old (argh!)
- I have been "doing" science for 5 years before I went commercial, but that was not really Physics
- Maybe because my dad is a theoretical Physicist, I always have been fascinated by Physics stuff... and yes, I still wonder if I should not have become a Physicist...
- I devour popular science books... anything that attempts to explain GUT, superstrings, black holes, astronomy, relativity, etc., from the scientific point of view, but without the mathematics.

Ok, enough. I think that's sufficient explanation why today I came home from work, switched on my comp, and went straight for "Page 1"...
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams

Xymox
Site Admin

Re: Hi All!

Post by Xymox » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am

Your post was great. I shared it with CERN. It is great I can provide a cool site like this for so many people.

March_Hare

Post by March_Hare » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:00 am

Wow, you shared it with CERN...
Dang, you should have told me. I'd made sure that my hair was brushed and I'd have put on a clean shirt...
(just kidding!!) :lol:

But seriously.
Here's a small addendum to straighten out one obscure sentence. When I re-read my original post I found it unnecessarily mysterious:

I have worked in Social Sciences for 5 years ("not really Physics", indeed). After 5 years I went into market research and that's what I still do.
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:28 pm

Your interest in the LHCPortal, your background and how you use the portal was what I was saying to CERN at the time as to why the Portal is providing such a cool outreach program.. It has attracted many others just like you and me into watching the live data.. Its involving and great fun. Its fun to check on every day, see how they did that day, see what they are doing next....

Initially some people at CERN did not see the value of what I was doing.

Your post was a perfect example of how the Portal is bringing people to watch the LHC and get involved in such a cool project..

It was perfect.