The universe will end in a fast-spreading bubble of doom

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
Xymox
Site Admin

The universe will end in a fast-spreading bubble of doom

Post by Xymox » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:39 am

With the new measurements of the Higgs it seems the cosmological constant might be unstable. This is awesome really and a real interesting thing to think about. That one day everything will be gone. No matter what man or any other race on any planet achieves in billions of years it will all be gone. Its also a cool thought that our universe was brought into existence in this very manner, vacuum decay.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... s-it-might

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

""The possibility that we are living in a false vacuum has never been a cheering one to contemplate. Vacuum decay is the ultimate ecological catastrophe; in the new vacuum there are new constants of nature; after vacuum decay, not only is life as we know it impossible, so is chemistry as we know it. " ~Sidney Coleman & F. de Luccia"

Our universe may just be a bubble of false vacuum and one day it will pop. In fact it may already have popped and its heading toward us right now at the speed of light.

The fun thought that will stir up all the "dooms day" people will be "Can the LHC pop the bubble and cause vacuum decay and a end to the universe ?

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Re: The universe will end in a fast-spreading bubble of doom

Post by DCWhitworth » Thu May 08, 2014 9:47 am

Personally I prefer to stick to worrying about looking both ways when crossing the road.
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !