Mental illness

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
chelle

Re: Mental illness

Post by chelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 am

Always seeing this topic hanging here on top, keeps reminding me of a scene in the movie 12 Monkeys by Terry Gilliam with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. Where a man from the future, you could say someone who sees the future, is considered 'mental' because he predicts a negative out-come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8t5cRlRivA

... he starts questioning himself if he's crazy for real. The movie is inspired by the French short film La Jettée, check it out it will intrigue you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlM-IIm_2AA

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:43 am

I have adult ADHD (I take my ritalin every morning) with a touch of obsessive/compulsive disorder and maybe a bit of Aspergers (depending on who I talk to).

None of this stops me from considering things logically. (its emotions I have trouble with)

There are many many things in this world I do not understand. If I need to make a decision (personal or otherwise) about one of them, I will do the research before deciding what I will believe. Once I have made that decision, it is conditional upon the facts that are available to me. If they change, I reserve the right to change my stance.

There seem to be people who don't think like this. I don't know if it is me or them that is strange, but I do have my suspicions.....

:think:

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 am

mrgumby wrote:Once I have made that decision, it is conditional upon the facts that are available to me. If they change, I reserve the right to change my stance ... There seem to be people who don't think like this.
I do think like you, there are no facts for what is to come, there is only mathematical guessing, these facts are known:

In nature, in one square meter, looking over the whole upper half of the sky, in a bandwidth of 1 GeV, one sees 1000 particles every second. That is very small compared to the luminosity of the LHC, which is somewhere around 10^30 collisions per square centimeter per second.

and

Focussing the beam allows its width and height to be constrained so that it stays inside the vacuum chamber. This is achieved by quadrupole magnets, which act on the beam of charged particles exactly the same way as a lens would act on a beam of light http://www.lhc-closer.es/php/index.php?i=1&s=4&p=6&e=2

That makes me think of a song, from an other kiwi :)
There's a fraction too much friction

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 am

thats a good song.

the rate of collisions per square centimeter is deceptive when the beam size is around .3 millimeters. Current collision rate I understand is around 100 per second. As intensity increases and they sort out squeezing techniques this will increase markedly, but I think you are better looking at absolute numbers rather than per square centimeter equivalences.

Mailo

Post by Mailo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 am

Reminds me a bit of the population density of popes in the Vatican. It is 2.3 popes per square kilometer, in case anyone is interested ;)

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am

Mailo wrote:Reminds me a bit of the population density of popes in the Vatican. It is 2.3 popes per square kilometer, in case anyone is interested
Yes, but that single bitch can cover the ass of a lot of pedophiles, go figure. How does he do it, yep by spreading the word. Makes me think of how can you start breaking wine glasses with one single high pitch tone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:58 am

People are too crazy about pedophilia, reminds me the craziness about gays some years back. You're not going to cure pedophilia as well as you're not going to cure homosexuality, both are something we all need to learn to live with. Celibacy seems to be a good hideout for both, no wonder these people turn to Christianity. In the end it will again be all about setting up what's acceptable, what's unacceptable and what's punishable. Providing these people means of satisfying their needs (e.g. through virtual reality) is going to work better than punishments.
After all, few people today think shooter games turn people to killers.

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:34 am

Kasuha wrote:People are too crazy about ...
:shock:

One person abusing others for years is a criminal. One person who know's of the abuse and doesn't stop it is an accomplice. The lhc abuses matter and will start abusing matter in a way that is far beyond normal, and we all know it, one can never be too crazy when addressing abuse.

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am

I think matter cannot be abused, in the same way living creatures can ben, because matter has no feelings.

You are playing with words again.
bye

chriwi

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Chelle wrote:The lhc abuses matter and will start abusing matter in a way that is far beyond normal, and we all know it, one can never be too crazy when addressing abuse.
Yes I agree the level of matter abuse of certain people is far beyond normal. I demand you release all poor carbon atoms you hold captive in your body by tomorrow, oxygen a day after and hydrogen next day. Then we'll talk about the rest.

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:10 pm

chriwi wrote:I think matter cannot be abused, in the same way living creatures can be, because matter has no feelings.
You are playing with words again.
Never heard of physical abuse, have we, of course not 'cause where here in the mental section. Indeed it's all "playing with words" ... the only problem is that cern isn't playing with words but with our safety.
Kasuha wrote:Yes I agree the level of matter abuse of certain people is far beyond normal.
Considering your previous post, I don't think you understand what 'abuse' and 'normal' means.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 pm

If you are that confident that CERN is puting us at risk, how about contacting physics professors and telling them about your ideas?

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Stephen wrote:If you are that confident that CERN is putting us at risk, how about contacting physics professors and telling them about your ideas?
I have contacted, physics professors, and once the questions get to be a bit tougher they respond no longer, I presume they simply don't know the answers.

At the end of the day the only real safety argument there is, are those cosmic rays, which we surpassing now with enormous frequencies, and in a totally different setting. The next reference we have are the so called omg-particles but we don't know shit about them, to bring up a quote:
For decades, scientists have thought that the highest-energy cosmic rays—those packing up to a million trillion electronvolts—were almost exclusively protons. But data from the Pierre Auger Observatory in Argentina, the world’s top facility dedicated to ultra-high-energy cosmic rays, could tell a startlingly different story. At the International Cosmic Ray Conference, held from July 7 to 15 in Lodz, Poland, Auger scientists are presenting data that raises the possibility that some of those super-speedy cosmic bullets could actually be iron nuclei.
“It would surprise a lot of people if some of these particles turned out to be iron,” says Hank Glass, an Auger collaborator at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. While scientists can imagine mechanisms that would accelerate protons up to nearly the speed of light, they have no idea where ultra-energetic iron nuclei could originate.
“Then again,” Glass adds, “nature is full of surprises.”
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breakin ... ing-earth/
When I asked them, what about BEC, I don't get a single answer, not even a simple no.

btw do you remember the TLP's on the moon that I was talking about in the sparks topic, well the LRO - CRaTER telescope, measures only Cosmic Ray particles between 2 MeV (2.10^6 eV) and 1 GeV (10^9 eV). So when they were talking about "The rarest events – cosmic rays with enough energy to punch through the whole telescope" they are talking about all particles above 1 GeV. When I asked, "Are these rare ultra-high-energy particles (10^18 to 10^20 eV) also observed and measured by CRaTER, if not have they been noticed and measured in the past when they struck onto the Moon?", I get no longer an answer.

Regarding my own ideas I have some options that I'm working on, you'll sure hear from me if there are any results.

LarryS

Post by LarryS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Tevatron vs. LHC
The news from Fermilab is that the Tevatron has set a new luminosity record, with a store last Friday that had an initial luminosity of 4.04 x 1032cm-2s-1, or, equivalently, 404 inverse microbarns/sec. For more about this, see a new posting from Tommaso Dorigo, where someone from Fermilab writes in to comment that they’re not quite sure why this store went unusually well.

Over in Geneva, commissioning of the LHC continues. There, the highest initial luminosity reported by ATLAS is 2.3 x 1027cm-2s-1, or 200,000 times less than the Tevatron number. I haven’t seen a recent number for the total luminosity delivered by the LHC to the experiments so far, but I believe it’s a small number of hundreds of inverse microbarns. The Tevatron is producing more collisions in one second than the LHC has managed in the three weeks since first collisions.

See the rest of the article at:

www.Math.Columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress

NOW PLEASE GO AND WORRY AS IT AMUSES ME ...

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:19 am

alfred.jpg
alfred.jpg (3.41 KiB) Viewed 18054 times