Vacuum Bubbles

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
photino
LHCPortal Guru

Re: Vacuum Bubbles

Post by photino » Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Not sure what you are looking for, but an electric field will accelerate anything carrying an electric charge. It does not care about which ion or particle, it only cares about its charge. The acceleration is then simply q/m times E, where E is the electric field strength, and q and m are the charge and mass of the particle.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri May 06, 2011 11:57 pm

oxodoes told me in chat a few months ago that the reason iron can be compared to lead is because of the way heavy ions behave in an electric field. I have no idea what he meant by that, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

photino
LHCPortal Guru

Post by photino » Sat May 07, 2011 12:02 am

Probably it was in the context of cosmic rays - any electric field out there that manages to accelerate iron ions or protons to cosmic ray speeds will necessarily also accelerate all the other charged particles hanging out in the neighbourhood (gold ions, lead ions, whatever).

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat May 07, 2011 12:06 am

Yes, I believe it was in the context of cosmic rays. I know I've gone through it before, but for some reason my anxiety regarding vacuum bubbles came back. But thanks again for the reassuring answers, photino and Kasuha.