Several biggest errors of particle physicists.

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: Several biggest errors of particle physicists.

Post by CharmQuark » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:35 pm

IVAN!!!!!!!

:angry-banghead: where are you :scared-eek: been nearly a year and a bit :violence-stickwhack:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Janelouise

Post by Janelouise » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Yeah Ivan, come on please... we really want to hear from you! :think: :? :icon-wink:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:09 pm

I keep promising myself NOT to feed the troll :angry-banghead: but I can't help it I miss him :scared-yipes:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Janelouise

Post by Janelouise » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 pm

:lol: but I know what you mean Em. :)

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:38 pm

LOL :D we need Stephen here!!!! where is he :ugeek: he misses Ivan too :D maybe he is just happy!!! :shock:

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm right here. Yeah, I miss Ivan too. He's been gone for a long time now.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:34 am

Maybe his padded cell doesn't have internet access.

Allan

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Allan wrote:Maybe his padded cell doesn't have internet access.

Allan
Awww Allan I hope he ain't been locked up :roll: just hope he is getting on with life and forgetting about his magnetic holes :ugeek:

draph91

Post by draph91 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Xymox wrote:
Now I live as a prisoner, sentenced to be killed by CERN. My health is ruined. Who had ruined it?
YOU ruined it. You CHOOSE to believe something that is incorrect...

==YOU== are causing your own problems. NOT CERN...
what the bloody hell did he mean by that anyway?
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 pm

what he meand but couldnt describe convincing is that like there are black holes for the force of gravity there could also be similar singularitys for the electromagnetic force.
All this can be read in the beginning of this gigant thread.
bye

chriwi

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed May 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Speaking of which, tomorrow marks 1.5 years since we last heard from Ivan.

draph91

Post by draph91 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:02 pm

chriwi wrote:what he meand but couldnt describe convincing is that like there are black holes for the force of gravity there could also be similar singularitys for the electromagnetic force.
All this can be read in the beginning of this gigant thread.
i meant the "prisoner part"
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Wed May 09, 2012 7:42 pm

draph91 wrote:i meant the "prisoner part"
While I don't sympathesize with his fears, I can understand this part. Living in EU where all sorts of regulations and rules - often rather ridiculous - are taking place in a way which I cannot affect gives me rather similar feeling. An example - there's a rule for how much can cucumbers deviate from being straight (note: not much). I don't know how others but I usually cut the cucumber before eating and after that it's rather irrelevant how much bent it was before. And there's no way to escape from that for me as well.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Kasuha wrote:
draph91 wrote:i meant the "prisoner part"
While I don't sympathesize with his fears, I can understand this part. Living in EU where all sorts of regulations and rules - often rather ridiculous - are taking place in a way which I cannot affect gives me rather similar feeling. An example - there's a rule for how much can cucumbers deviate from being straight (note: not much). I don't know how others but I usually cut the cucumber before eating and after that it's rather irrelevant how much bent it was before. And there's no way to escape from that for me as well.
That's fairly typical of the misinformation and myth that spreads about the EU. Quote from the EU - "Cucumbers do not have to be straight. There are grading rules, which were called for by representatives from the industry to enable buyers in one country to know what quality and quantity they would get when purchasing a box, unseen, from another country. Nothing is banned under these rules: they simply help to inform traders of particular specifications."
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Wed May 09, 2012 11:36 pm

DCWhitworth wrote:That's fairly typical of the misinformation and myth that spreads about the EU. Quote from the EU - "Cucumbers do not have to be straight. There are grading rules, which were called for by representatives from the industry to enable buyers in one country to know what quality and quantity they would get when purchasing a box, unseen, from another country. Nothing is banned under these rules: they simply help to inform traders of particular specifications."
I suggest reading the norm rather than listening to PR announcements.

There are three grades - 'selection', 1st grade, 2nd grade. Even 2nd grade has maximum bending specified and anything above it is not considered a cucumber according to this norm. And cucumber may fall into 2nd grade just because it's bent slightly above the norm for 1st grade - with inevitable consequence that you're not ever going to sell it for 1st grade price even though there's nothing wrong with it otherwise.

I can understand certain producers using machine processing may require straight cucumbers for their machines to be able to process them. But that's matter of negotiations between the producer and its vendor, it does not require a continent-wide general rule. And for home use it's largely irrelevant how much the cucumber is bent.

Actually this shows yet another problem with EU regulations - they're always slightly different from what the officials are saying about them.