Defining Topics

Anything unrelated to the LHC
mrgumby

Defining Topics

Post by mrgumby » Sun May 30, 2010 6:16 am

First of all, I apologise If my comments on "staying on topic" have upset anyone.

I'm actually quite confused about how I should define what is, or is not, on topic.

If a topic is defined by its Title, what are we to make of topics like "new web site" or "smilies" or "refresh" or "bosenova" or "Hmmm..." etc etc etc? Please note I'm not attacking the posters of these topics, just using them as examples.

If a topic is, on the other hand, defined by its subject matter, the subject is always going to drift over time.

You could implement a policy that subject titles had to be descriptive and precise, and no subject drifting is allowed. I suspect that you would then end up with almost as many topics as there are posts.

Or you can accept that topics will be interpreted differently by different people, and allow for a bit of subject drift.

For example "Several biggest errors of particle physicists." has never (to me) been about "errors of particle physicists".......it has been about Ivan and his theories. To me, speculation about Ivan's whereabouts is still within that definition.

The competition I suggested was a bit naughty, but wasn't prompted entirely by postings in Ivans thread. I've noted posts like that on many forums and often felt slightly irritated at them, for the above reasons.

I really feel that if you are too strict you stifle the flow of conversation and thought. If I start talking about cake recipes in a physics forum, that deserves comment. But I cannot see the sense in an argument (for instance) about whether a subject belongs in "Off Topic" or "Controversial Subjects". (No I do not wish to comment more on that discussion).

If anyone has any thoughts about how to easily define a topic, I wold be interested to see them.

:?

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: Defining Topics

Post by CharmQuark » Sun May 30, 2010 2:01 pm

MrGumby :thumbup:

not to worry about things :) you are right about Ivan's thread some people really don't like looking there because of what he has said in the past and things like that, I myself miss him as well as a few select people on the forum so if i do want to get hold of Ivan that is where i post as he gets notifaction on all posts hense why i am so worried.

As for the competion thread yes that was a bit naughty but that's also ok, that's why i decided to keep it in the controversial topics :thumbup:

seems people are getting pissy about the little things these days :wtf: I am not sure why this is does anybody else? more or less all of the posts stick to the correct topic section i do not see a problem with where anybody posts, I am not sure what Chris thinks..............Chrisssssssssssssssssssss :wtf: what do you think?
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Bornerdogge

Post by Bornerdogge » Sun May 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I come here every day and I haven't a single clue of the reason why there's been an argument...

Either there isn't any good reason, or I must be stupid...

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun May 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Bornerdogge wrote:I come here every day and I haven't a single clue of the reason why there's been an argument...

Either there isn't any good reason, or I must be stupid...
There ain't so much arguments just disagreements........however i like this :D it keeps me on my toes :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:06 am

@ charmquark....thanks for that....I was starting to think I must be WAAAAAy out of step with the rest of the world (hey I'm used to that I guess but it seemed like yet another example of it.)

No long post today...I've got a rotten cold and I'm going back to bed....(achoo!)

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:22 pm

mrgumby wrote:@ charmquark....thanks for that....I was starting to think I must be WAAAAAy out of step with the rest of the world (hey I'm used to that I guess but it seemed like yet another example of it.)

No long post today...I've got a rotten cold and I'm going back to bed....(achoo!)

Mrgumby :thumbup: you are most welcome :D you ain't done anything wrong, that's the thing i love about the controversial section it gets heated :dance: keeps people's mind in exercise i think a good old disagreement ;)

I hope you feel better real soon :romance-kisscheek:

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 am

Hooooeeee!

I shall never wash that cheek again!

Still full of germs....but red wine helps temporarily. (splutter)(cough)

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm

MrGumby :thumbup:

Feeling better? I could do with some red wine hehehe care to share with me? :roll: :whistle:

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 am

Not sure my wife would agree......but I drank a bottle of Syrah tonight in your honour.

Its just as well you cannot see all the spelling corrections in this......Oh dear...

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Oh i am sure your wife wouldn't mind :thumbup: she can share too :P

As for spelling mistakes well i am the typo queen so no worries there either :whistle: