problems 10/26/09 - 10/28/09

The place to discuss the LHC. Commissioning, operation, issues, events ....
Danny252
LHCPortal Guru

Re: ** Current problem **

Post by Danny252 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Just noticed that on Monday's Progress Report:

"QPS software upgrade on 600A systems all around the machine"

Oopsie!

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Work in progress. Im sure they have things to work out..

Normal problems and solutions. Just the day to day grind I would imagine..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:04 am

"PS main power supplies problem"

Wow....

It has been quite a day filled with isolated and annoying failures !!

Well.... Some days are like that... Just everything seems to go bad...

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:05 am

I keep getting ready to drop this thread back out of announcement and rename it,,,, but a new problem occurs !...

jepson

Post by jepson » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:12 am

Yeah, it's been a rough week. Losing vac in the PS, losing vac in the effing linac that's been running without a glitch for ages now, losing cryo, strange new QPS bugs showing up, injectors not injecting, kickers not kicking and now a power failure. Makes me wonder if there's something to the theories about the Higgs boson not wanting to be found :-)

(By my calculations, the PSB explodes violently next Wednesday..)

mikeymac0811

Post by mikeymac0811 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:30 am

What do you mean violent explosion???? Sorry to be a pain, but these doomsayers (as nutts as they are) make me nervous at times.

jepson

Post by jepson » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:38 am

Relax, the doomsday nuts should be taken out and shot for their own good :-)

(I picked a never-before seen failure and a system that hasn't broken down yet, added some bad timing and arrived at "violent booster boom next Wednesday")

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:50 am

HE IS JOKING !!!

Hehehehe..... Jepsom.. Gotta watch posts that use the "E" word.. ( explosion ) it can trigger mass panic, people puting on Tin Foil Hats and running for cover..

Hehehe...

Yea must be the Higgs... I agree.. So we should just all give up. I will close the site tomorrow. Maybe I can call it in tonight and pull the plug right away...

Obviously its all over. No way to overcome the Higgs Future Time Travel Dampening Field..

Have there been any RoboBirds from the future flying around CERN with any bread lately ?

Well..... I for one think bad days happen. The good news is that they never last.

ALSO you see I think the LHC teams will use the PS outage to do work that needs doing. So its all good..

AGAIN... not a problem... Its been 10 years in the making. Whats a lost day ? Its a 0.003% delay IF LHC was not way ahead. And it is way ahead. So everything is still ahead of schedule.

I dont see any problem at all. I see opportunities to get things done. Watch and see,, im right :)

mikeymac0811

Post by mikeymac0811 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:00 am

I figured he was joking..... I live only 40 miles from the RHIC and hope to visit it one day.... I know, the tin foil hatters are nutts! One day someone will turn their microwave oven on and destroy their own tin foil hat (and their insides).

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:11 am

RHIC... OoOOoOo cool... you MUST visit !... Wow... I am so jealous. Here in Arizona we have nothing... Well,,, at the University of Arizona in Tucson they do have a lot of fun space projects and some great telescopes.

It was still fun that you posted. It provided a good break from the grind of the bad day :)

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:20 pm

hehehe.... there is a whole community devoted to blowing things up in a microwave.. I think anything that can be stuffed into a microwave has been...

Well the LHC is back to doing beam dump studies and everything is working again..

I am going to take down this "** Current problem ** announcement and retitle it with a date.

Danny252
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Danny252 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Xymox wrote:people puting on Tin Foil Hats
You take yours off?! My god, there's no hope left now...

...I'll get my tinfoil coat.

Xymox
Site Admin

Re: problems 10/26/09 - 10/28/09

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:40 pm

I was thinking we could start up a online shop... Sell stuff that would protect you from Black Holes, Strangelets and dimensional travelers..

At the very least as a gag shop it would be great fun.

Of course that is yet another large project..

You know...... CERN has a tourist shop and they sell stuff onsite from the experiments like cups and stuff. They cannot sell stuff online. Its apparently against the law there or something.. Maybe someone out there could work out a deal to buy stuff from CERN's shops and then resell it online in a online store.. Even add more items... There is profit potential there plus then all of us could order cool LHC shirts, cups and stuff...

I dont have the money to start up such a venture. But I would gladly put links to any shop that started up :)

Lexa

Re: problems 10/26/09 - 10/28/09

Post by Lexa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:21 pm

I had confirmation today that problems affecting the cryo last week with the PLC might happen again at any time... Hopefully the LHC is a very resilient and well designed machine so it should not damage it. Just a few hours delays each time.

I will avoid giving details, but it should be fixed by the next shutdown (xmas/new year 2-week shutdown, in 20 days). Phew!