ATLAS project requests links be restricted.

Suggestion you might have for new links for my CERN portal page or suggestions for the forum
Xymox
Site Admin

ATLAS project requests links be restricted.

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:12 am

I have received a request from the ATLAS team expressing concern about the links I provide and they consider some of the links private.

I am of course very happy to help CERN.

They will be deciding what should be public. I have begged that they reconsider the decision. Until then I have VERY regretfully removed access to all the links until they decide what should be public.

Xymox
Site Admin

Re: ATLAS project requests links be restricted.

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:34 pm

I have sent the Director General of CERN a email pleading the case for continued open access to the COOL resources available from the portal..

The EMail

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Public LHC outreach web site
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:23:56 -0700
To: *Rolf.Heuer@cern.*ch

Good day Mr Heuer,

I am sorry to disturb you during these very busy times at CERN.

As a fan of physics and a huge fan of the LHC project I have followed it for 8 years via the CERN web sites. These publicly available internal web site have proven VERY interesting and define cool. The public outreach programs have been good, but very limited compared with the vast amount of stunning cool stuff that is actually available from CERN.

I recently created a fan web site to get links together from the vast jungle of web sites at CERN into a nice and easy to use portal to watch the daily happenings at CERN. During this process I checked with IT security about my doing the web site to make sure I was not posting anything that was of concern. I had IT security review my site. I have been concerned and sensitive about this from the start.

I have gained quite a number of users of my site now. Teachers, kids, physics fans and the press. Everybody has just had a great time and is in awe at the project. Nothing like watching the project progress daily to really get into it. I feel I have done a remarkable job of outreach with my site. Being able to watch daily what is happening and what issues get worked through is really fascinating stuff. It also demystifies the project. Being able to go to a Vistar page and watch the LHC page 1 and see it turn on and do things live is just AWESOME and defines outreach.

However... It has come to my attention my site might have caused alarm recently and may have created privacy issues at CERN...

This is the LAST thing I wanted. I went through a lot of email with IT security to make sure my site was OK. I spent quite a bit of time, money and effort on the project. Its a cool hobby for me.

I understand that shortly almost all live data and many of the pages I have links to will become restricted. This is really sad news for many people who are fans of my site and of the LHC project. I have a number of very high profile science writers with major press outlets who are fans of my site. There are 2 news outlets who are working on stories that will include my site. The loss of the ability of watch the project will be a sad event and might even be news worthy that CERN removed access. I hope not.

I fully understand and respect the decisions to restrict the sites to only authorized users. I have removed links immd after hearing they might be a problem.

I would like to work with CERN to provide a cool live data outreach program. I would also like to beg and plead with you to only restrict access to truly sensitive content, not just cut off all access.

The recent email and response I received are below..

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you soon.

BTW.,... AWESOME JOB on the project !!..

Chris Stephens

http://LHCPortal.com/

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:06 pm

I have received GREAT news... The ATLAS team is great with all my links except one. Now which one im not sure and one is going to get password protected shortly. SO we will loose only one link..

But this is AWESOME news...

I have not heard back from the DG email yet, but I hope for a positive response..

EXCELLENT NEWS !

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:53 am

I am now begging and pleading with the CMS guys...

Same issues..

I believe some restrictions will be placed on some stuff. Hopefully nothing that is cool.

A link was removed from the commisioning page. The 3 week excel work book showing the current plan. That was a LHC page..

So some things are getting restricted.

My new plan is to keep some stuff I find to my self and just report news gathered from the links I keep private on my email reflector at google groups. So some links I will not be sharing. Its for the good of everybody. I will make sure any important info is reported.