ADs

Suggestion you might have for new links for my CERN portal page or suggestions for the forum
Xymox
Site Admin

ADs

Post by Xymox » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I have decided to try out a google ad on a few places on the portal. They should really be no big deal and might support getting a better hosting provider for the site. I dont think it will cause anyone any real issues ?

It was a tuff decision. I HATE ADS... But I wanted to see if it could pay for a better hosting upgrade for the site and forum. So far they have produced a whopping .31 cents ! hahaha. So the ads might not stay for as little money as they bring in.

If anyone is annoyed, I will remove them..

This is 100% not for profit. Just to maybe support the site. But it looks like its gonna bring in a whopping $10/mo. MAYBE.

I am SORRY to do it. But you can always avoide them completly by using Firefox and AdBlock Plus. WHich I recommend anyway. You will never see a ad again.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

c.h.man

Re: ADs

Post by c.h.man » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:41 pm

I don't mind, as long as they aren't the ones that pop up in the middle of the screen. I just got one on another forum, and it was over the button I wanted to click.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:05 pm

No way...... No way ever.... Those ads are HORRIBLE.....

But... I never see ads. Firefox + Adblock and im done. Its pretty much a miracle

Yea the ads are really low key.

3 places...

1) At the very bottom of this forum. Below even the forum.
2) On that first splash screen once you click The Portal. BELOW the BH detection image
3) In the links, below everything, under where it says "ads"

B4DAWN

Post by B4DAWN » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:12 am

c.h.man wrote:I don't mind, as long as they aren't the ones that pop up in the middle of the screen. I just got one on another forum, and it was over the button I wanted to click.
:D That is about the way I feel about it.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:06 am

Yea well I think they are up to like $3.00 total... BUT,,, if we can get like $15 a month outta it + my $ I throw in per month.. Maybe we can get a better server. Although this seems to have worked well and its being hit by A LOT of people. We are way over 10,000 IP addresses so far in less then a week. But this excitement will die off.. We shall see.. It will take MONTHS before google adsense will send me any money.

photino
LHCPortal Guru

Post by photino » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:31 am

Why don't you put up a tip jar?

I'm pretty sure with a great site like this you'd collect enough for the hosting.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:46 am

Hmmmmm....

I hate to sorta beg for money...

The ads are doing kinda well.. Up to $15 in 8 days !..

Overall the site works great. 100-200 IP's / people per hour. Our top so far was 8000 in one day. Not hits,,,, IP's / People.

The forum can be a bit slow now and then.

We shall see how this all goes..

The ads are VERY easy to ignore.. So its all good..

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:06 am

I did not imagine that a forum with such a smallnumber of registered users would attract so many guests in one day. But I guess that is due to the controversial and interesting topic and the prominent URL.
Unfortunately I can't help you anymor with performance-problems in this higher region, evenso my forum has many more registered users but byf ar not so many guests in one day.

bye

chriwi
bye

chriwi

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:32 pm

Its only 29 max on the forum at once. The people i listed are for the portal.

I think the random slowness is actually a problem and my hosting company, web.com, has decided to look into the problem. Many people share a MySQL machine, so some provisioning and moving things around might be required. They are checking into it...

I have not figured out how many people/guests hit the forum per day... I will look that up.

morgad

Post by morgad » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:45 pm

If you ever do add a 'donate' button to the site, I will click it 8-)

Dave

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:37 am

Hmmm........

Lets see how things go.. The google ad thing is working out pretty well. If traffic stays the same as its been I might be able to get $50/mo from the ads. If thats the case,,, I might be able to afford a full virtual server with root access. Install my own MySQL, Apache, php and all the other stuff.. I would enjoy doing that. That would give the site a much more solid footing and make the forum very fast and stable.

I need a month under my belt with the site to see what is going to happen. Its only been like 9 days so far...

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:03 am

I know this is very late...I just discovered this subject.

From my point of view....

The ads are fine...I hadn't even noticed them... they are like the ads in Gmail, after a while they become invisible. If advertisers are daft enough to pay money for invisible ads, there is no reason why they should not pay it to support this site. (I think all the double negatives work out right?)

I love the site and I would put up with quite a bit more ads than the current amount if it meant the site kept going.

:thumbup: