Slight disruption of service

Suggestion you might have for new links for my CERN portal page or suggestions for the forum
Xymox
Site Admin

Re: Slight disruption of service

Post by Xymox » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 pm

There are a huge number of support post about this issue on phpbb with a huge number of different reasons it comes up. It was hard to determine what to do to fix it just yet. Ive posted a new question and will work on this.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2433446

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:14 pm

It must be something in the config of the phpbb here because using the exact same forum software on my same server over at another site I have it works fine ?!?!

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey, thanks for the tip on changing the layout, I didn't know that was possible. I've seen you mentioning it, but thought that is was for picking a 'final' layout.

I don't believe it's that hard to create a style template that is similar to the old style but you need to fiddle those php pages, anyway I guess I have to adapt … or I could have a look myself.

Regarding the problem with the size I've had it the past but changing the image size would fix it, now it didn't. I have noticed you did some tests and run in the same problem, I hope you can find a fix. Maybe the problem was related to my image? I've tried png and jpg and two different upload services, mh.

Cheers,
m.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:38 pm

As I posted in the phpbb forum, its all images that come from a URL and I have exactly the same forum running exactly the same settings in exactly the same server enviroment and one works and one doesn't. Its a very weird issue. I will work on a fix. Image posting is really important.

As far as the style goes, the issue is in updating a modified style with each new version of the phpbb. These occur about every 3 months and so any edits would need to be redone each time and each time might involve changes. The styles are updated by the developers for each version of phpbb and so just work without any effort.

I have to be very careful to keep a stock phpbb as any mods result in LOTS more work to keep updated.

So.. I gotta pick from fully supported styles that are stock :(

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Can't you ask the guys that build these things to make/include a style that looks like the old one, with no worries for you. 😜

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm

I could ask, hahahaha... The styles are created and maintained by independent people. The old style Black Pearl has not been updated since 2013. There are requests by others to update it and the author of the style has not responded since 2013. But I did send a PM to him asking for a update. None of his 8 styles have been updated since that time. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/black_pearl/

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:25 pm

None of his styles had any updates at all after june 2013. Who knows what happened..
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/auth ... tributions

The only style made and updated by the PHPbb people is subsilver. Thats the only sure bet. But thats very white.

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Xymox wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm
I could ask, hahahaha... The styles are created and maintained by independent people. The old style Black Pearl has not been updated since 2013. There are requests by others to update it and the author of the style has not responded since 2013. But I did send a PM to him asking for a update. None of his 8 styles have been updated since that time. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/black_pearl/
Nice try, but maybe he ded. :mrgreen:

Anyway my guess it's just 5 minutes work when you have the tools …

Who know he might pop up, or ask someone else on the forum to get our old red/yellow colors back.

cheers,
m.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 am

I have tried everything suggested on on the threads I can find. So far I cant fix this. I have updated the thread on this and im going to be getting more unhappy if a resolution is not found quickly. This is a basic function that is really important and it does not work.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:47 am

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:57 am

Im not getting any responses yet on the phpbb forum thread. Which is kinda amazing. Lots of views. No answers..

I have located the code. Would require more work tho to isolate the issue.

It could be that the $url has nothing in it from a previous oopsie.

The php function getimagesize() is coming back failed. http://php.net/manual/en/function.getimagesize.php

I might just stuff code in this line to print the $url var

Code: Select all

if ($max_height || $max_width)
		{
			$imagesize = new \FastImageSize\FastImageSize();
			$size_info = $imagesize->getImageSize($url);
			if ($size_info === false)
			{
				$logger->err('UNABLE_GET_IMAGE_SIZE');
				return false;
			}

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:32 am

Have you asked the people that host your forum? Are the url images being saved on a backup server? You had to do some things to get the images of the old forum loaded on this new forum, maybe there's the hiccup? Regarding what I'm asking here, the link to, or the possible backup folder itself, for the images might be wrong or missing, and the error isn't with the images themselves?