*banging head on desk*

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
draph91

*banging head on desk*

Post by draph91 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:27 pm

just... read these stories :angry-steamingears:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/03/is-the-la ... h-5324776/

http://2paragraphs.com/2015/08/large-ha ... september/

ok I'm getting annoyed with these type of stories :angry-banghead:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

draph91

Re: *banging head on desk*

Post by draph91 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:36 pm

also check out this yahoo's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56YW8FhKyU
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:21 am

It's pure propaganda for the LHC and a mockery of critics. If you're now critical about the LHC people will relate to you as a religious anti-science nutcase.

The sad thing is that journalist just blindly follow the physicists ... if Hawkins says so ... the journalists don't look at the safety report and question what Cosmic Rays are ... it's easier and safer to write some over the top BS than to ask the hard questions ... what is the Vacuum/Higgs field made of ... is it like a super-fluid ... can it transmit vibrations and shake surrounding matter apart ... would it heat up with so many collisions going on in one small place ... what about the penta-quark and the assumption that more quarks could hook up and form exotic wormish particles? This is the reality of the LHC that journalist should ask questions about but won't ... simply because we have never been in this situation before ... and even scientists don't know ... they just point at Cosmic Rays with their much higher energies ... but those are iron nuclei colliding and not protons with much higher energy than those in the LHC.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

draph91

Post by draph91 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:20 pm

chelle wrote:It's pure propaganda for the LHC and a mockery of critics. If you're now critical about the LHC people will relate to you as a religious anti-science nutcase.

The sad thing is that journalist just blindly follow the physicists ... if Hawkins says so ... the journalists don't look at the safety report and question what Cosmic Rays are ... it's easier and safer to write some over the top BS than to ask the hard questions ... what is the Vacuum/Higgs field made of ... is it like a super-fluid ... can it transmit vibrations and shake surrounding matter apart ... would it heat up with so many collisions going on in one small place ... what about the penta-quark and the assumption that more quarks could hook up and form exotic wormish particles? This is the reality of the LHC that journalist should ask questions about but won't ... simply because we have never been in this situation before ... and even scientists don't know ... they just point at Cosmic Rays with their much higher energies ... but those are iron nuclei colliding and not protons with much higher energy than those in the LHC.
I'm not mocking the critics, you do have a right but saying those sort of things make people panic

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:41 pm

draph91 wrote:I'm not mocking the critics, you do have a right but saying those sort of things make people panic
This kind of article is pure ridicule, it won't make people panic, in contrast it serves only to create the idea that who critics the LHC is a religious nutcase.

draph91

Post by draph91 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:11 am

chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote:I'm not mocking the critics, you do have a right but saying those sort of things make people panic
This kind of article is pure ridicule, it won't make people panic, in contrast it serves only to create the idea that who critics the LHC is a religious nutcase.
oh right

i have 2 more news stories

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mini-black-hol ... se-1514203

http://www.vauxhalladvance.com/blog/201 ... he-bottom/

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:14 pm

draph91 wrote:i have 2 more news stories

The second one isn't about physics, the first one is funny because she says there is no danger while we actually know nothing about the Higgsfield so how can we know how stable a false vacuum would be ... until last year we weren't even sure if the Higgsfield existed ... so she moves on to the classic statement:

"Addressing concerns that such mini black holes could be created with Cern's Large Hadron Collider, Moss said this is not the case. Mini black holes created by the LHC are of even lower energy than those that can be created by cosmic rays crashing into particles in our atmosphere."

Which isn't waterproof, because ultra high-energy collisions of Cosmic Rays are most likely iron nuclei and not proton-proton collisions, that's why there is so much more energy output ... the protons colliding are in the same energy region as those in the LHC.

Here's the wiki-page on the false vacuum:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

draph91

Post by draph91 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:42 am

chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote:i have 2 more news stories

The second one isn't about physics, the first one is funny because she says there is no danger while we actually know nothing about the Higgsfield so how can we know how stable a false vacuum would be ... until last year we weren't even sure if the Higgsfield existed ... so she moves on to the classic statement:

"Addressing concerns that such mini black holes could be created with Cern's Large Hadron Collider, Moss said this is not the case. Mini black holes created by the LHC are of even lower energy than those that can be created by cosmic rays crashing into particles in our atmosphere."

Which isn't waterproof, because ultra high-energy collisions of Cosmic Rays are most likely iron nuclei and not proton-proton collisions, that's why there is so much more energy output ... the protons colliding are in the same energy region as those in the LHC.

Here's the wiki-page on the false vacuum:
I'm aware of the false vacuum

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:24 pm

draph91 wrote:
chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote: Here's the wiki-page on the false vacuum:
I'm aware of the false vacuum
How ... what special senses do you have?

draph91

Post by draph91 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm aware of the false vacuum[/quote][/quote]

How ... what special senses do you have?[/quote]

I've read about it

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:38 am

Hi chelle. Just thought I would say hi. I must thank you for years of presence on the forum. Your posts have been very interesting over years and have stirred up all sorts of fun topics and discussions.

:)

Carry on.. Never mind me..

chelle

Post by chelle » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Xymox wrote:Hi chelle. Just thought I would say hi. I must thank you for years of presence on the forum. Your posts have been very interesting over years and have stirred up all sorts of fun topics and discussions.

Hi Xymox,

Great to see you show up again and thanks for the appreciation, although I feel a bit ashamed at times that I might have scared away some of the more serious LHC fans ... but than again I tried to stay mostly in the 'Other topics' section ... anyway I've learned so much about physics thanks to this place ... now here after years in the dark I feel like the old dracula in the cave. Image

best,

m.

draph91

Post by draph91 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:50 pm

chelle wrote:
Xymox wrote:Hi chelle. Just thought I would say hi. I must thank you for years of presence on the forum. Your posts have been very interesting over years and have stirred up all sorts of fun topics and discussions.

Hi Xymox,

Great to see you show up again and thanks for the appreciation, although I feel a bit ashamed at times that I might have scared away some of the more serious LHC fans ... but than again I tried to stay mostly in the 'Other topics' section ... anyway I've learned so much about physics thanks to this place ... now here after years in the dark I feel like the old dracula in the cave. Image

best,

m.

:lol: not mocking you but that comment is so god damn funny