Mental illness

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
chelle

Re: Abusing matter

Post by chelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:56 am

Chelle wrote:... Like a nuclear bomb, the lhc is an experiment put together by humans that bundles different forces into one event. What if earth starts to melt down ... A melting planet would smash in to the sun like a shot bird falls to the ground, and if has a BEC like core, a sting would ignite Sol like a super-duper-nova.

I don't know if some of you remember me posting this wacky argument above, anyway I came across this news yesterday:

Kepler’s galaxy census estimates 50 billion planets
"Astronomers have used data from Nasa's planet-hunting Kepler telescope to estimate just how many planets there are in the Milky Way, and how many of them could support life. In our galaxy, the cosmic census estimates that there are 50 billion planets, with about 500 million of those inside the habitable zone." http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... axy-census

If there is a certain percentage of those planets that reaches our level of intelligence, which includes building an LHC-like device, than the rate of supernova's that happen in our Milky Way could coincide with the number of planets discovered, isn't that crazy.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Chelle wrote:If there is a certain percentage of those planets that reaches our level of intelligence, which includes building an LHC-like device, than the rate of supernova's that happen in our Milky Way could coincide with the number of planets discovered, isn't that crazy.
Supernovae are essential to create new stars, planets, and life. Therefore turning its star into a supernova is the only viable way for life to spread out off its home system.
Every supernova explosion brings its distinctive pattern that gets imprinted to the texture of the matter it makes collapse, making that pattern to re-appear in the life emerging from it. This way every viable kind of life is bound to make its star explode as a supernova, spreading life in question further over the universe.

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Kasuha wrote:Supernovae are essential to create new stars, planets, and life. Therefore turning its star into a supernova is the only viable way for life to spread out off its home system.
Every supernova explosion brings its distinctive pattern that gets imprinted to the texture of the matter it makes collapse, making that pattern to re-appear in the life emerging from it. This way every viable kind of life is bound to make its star explode as a supernova, spreading life in question further over the universe.
I agree.

On a side note, I can understand the Big Bang hypothesis, but there should also be others based on the fact that Super Novae are events that fuel up the Universe, like a combustion engine generates tension.

chelle

Re: Mental illness

Post by chelle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:40 am

Hello,

A few months ago I saw the first Superman movie, and was pleasantly surprised as it is about a scientist who predicts the destruction of his planet (Krypton) and how other scientists ask him to be reasonable ... sounds familiar :D

Last weekend I had the chance to buy a copy of it on a flea-market, and I've uploaded a short clip. Check it out, it's a marvelous piece of cinema:

http://www.trilulilu.ro/ellehc/8973a677eb53f1
(Note, there might be a 20 second commercial before it starts)

Here are some quotes:

"This madness is yours!"

"Our destruction could have been avoided but for the vanity of some who considered us indistructable."

cheers,

chelle

ps: Xymos wouldn't it be possible to make the code-options a bit more flexible so its possible to embed video?

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Chelle wrote:http://www.trilulilu.ro/ellehc/8973a677eb53f1
(Note, there might be a 20 second commercial before it starts)
In fact I found the commercial more entertaining than the clip contents. There were some sexy babes dancing...
And destruction of Krypton was a good thing to happen, right? Without that we'd never get our Superman...

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Kasuha wrote:And destruction of Krypton was a good thing to happen, right? Without that we'd never get our Superman...
Yes, lol

... and also because it teaches us to be savvy regarding our own planet.

plum wise

Post by plum wise » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:21 am

Ah but the World will end soon. But that needs to be qualified. What we (humans) think of as "the World" will end. Humans think that they are the World. But God knows lots better. God knows that the actual "world" is insatiably rich with things other than human endeavor. Humans think they are the veritable Crown of Creation but alas, it isn't so.

Humanity is what will end and it won't be caused by any natural disaster. No, humankind has long relied on sorcery, reincarnation, the promise (and the fact) of Eternal Life. Folks all over this planet, around 98% (I would guess), believe in Life After Death, and they invariable drop to their knees and worship the image of some venerated demigod in the hope of being party to some 'spiritual' succession and being granted Eternal Life in some such vein as that.

Oh but it's pure folly! The PRIME directive, the First of the Ten Commandments, warns against holding false gods in esteem. That's because God alone is holy. Contrary to absurdly-popular belief, there are NO "holy men", never have been and never will be. All mortals are like snakes. Humankind is a scourge against this planet and all of nature, pure and simple; stone-cold killers mostly, repackaged each fresh lifetime to appear adorable and cuddly (ie. tots).

But this interminable wickedness in the guise of holiness can only endure so long. The ancients realized that. That's why a lot of the ancients predicted the End to occur around this time. Yes, reincarnation is the key to what humanity is all about. And yes, reincarnation requires actual witchcraft to be perpetrated. It's quite deplorable, trust me. With rebirth guaranteed to follow death, life becomes cheapened. Millions of innocents are slaughtered by despots, time and time again. The so-called 'spirits' actually encourage such behavior ...for the 'spirit' is nothing more than Evil Incarnate in action.

So the World is going to end, but it will come about by sorcerous (or you can think of it as 'supernatural') means. God has seen quite enough of our perfidies! That which lives by the sorcery, DIES by the sorcery. Of course, with our demise, the indigenous flora and fauna can return to their perfectly sane and wondrous ways, and have salvation from the epoch of (yeech!) -- MAN. :Heart:

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:31 pm

plum wise wrote:That which lives by the sorcery, DIES by the sorcery.
The wizards of the last centuries have given us indeed a lot of magical things, but that doesn't mean that we could not change our destiny.
plum wise wrote:... with our demise, the indigenous flora and fauna can return to their perfectly sane and wondrous ways ...
Of this I'm not so sure, if matter could be combusted at a subatomic level than we might take everything with us. Physicist say it won't happen, but I'd like to refer to this quote from the grandest wizard of them all:

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein

plum wise

Post by plum wise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Chelle wrote:The wizards of the last centuries have given us indeed a lot of magical things, but that doesn't mean that we could not change our destiny.
The Devil is doing its last dance and its last prance. It won't be very long before hard cold realities (such as the constraints of Planck's Constant) bring all the sorcerous wickedness to a crashing halt. Proviso: I believe it will happen so quick that not a single ape-man will feel any tinge of pain or emotion upon the demise of the species.

Utopia for all of Nature afterward.
But then, animals don't philosophize anyway ...bless 'em

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:57 pm

plum wise wrote:The Devil is doing its last dance and its last prance.
Have you ever read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time?

plum wise

Post by plum wise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:32 pm

No, unh-uh.

I meant to also say about changing destiny that it isn't possible because of accrual. You can't undo what has already been perpetrated. You can gloss it over, whitewash it, sugar coat it, sweep it under the rug or just plain deny it; but that old atom will bear on the future nevertheless. I don't believe that any Supreme Deity could take an active hand in the endeavors of humankind. God is about goodness, and goodness can't stoop to the use of magic. No, it's plain physics that will strike with deadly backlash against mankind's depravity ...and soon.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:07 am

plum wise wrote:No, it's plain physics that will strike with deadly backlash against mankind's depravity ...
Why would there be such a thing as mankind's depravity, most people just live a normal life and try to get by. As a group we can be very destructive to nature like a plague of insects that eats everything in its way, or a forest-fire that burns everything to the ground. But there is also an intelligent aspect in us, a sense of correction and adaptation so self-destruction can be avoided. If you concentrate only on what you want to see, than you will miss everything else that is going on, learn to feel.
plum wise wrote:...and soon.
It seem to me that you are suffering from anxiety, try to relax.

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Chelle wrote:
Chelle wrote:... Like a nuclear bomb, the lhc is an experiment put together by humans that bundles different forces into one event. What if earth starts to melt down ... A melting planet would smash in to the sun like a shot bird falls to the ground, and if has a BEC like core, a sting would ignite Sol like a super-duper-nova.

I don't know if some of you remember me posting this wacky argument above, anyway I came across this news yesterday:

Kepler’s galaxy census estimates 50 billion planets
"Astronomers have used data from Nasa's planet-hunting Kepler telescope to estimate just how many planets there are in the Milky Way, and how many of them could support life. In our galaxy, the cosmic census estimates that there are 50 billion planets, with about 500 million of those inside the habitable zone." http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... axy-census

If there is a certain percentage of those planets that reaches our level of intelligence, which includes building an LHC-like device, than the rate of supernova's that happen in our Milky Way could coincide with the number of planets discovered, isn't that crazy.
I thought I added the recent number update:
An Otherworldly Discovery: Billions of Other Planets

Astronomers said Wednesday that each of the 100 billion stars in the Milky Way probably has at least one companion planet, on average, adding credence to the notion that planets are as common in the cosmos as grains of sand on the beach.
Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 70744.html
That's double :scared-eek:

btw happy 2012 :mrgreen:

draph91

Post by draph91 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Shadowdraxx wrote:good read tbh, and yeah i do agree personally, there are differences between concerned or scared people and those who just are as u put it stuck in some kind of OCD loop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive% ... e_disorder) as an example.

And I'm glad that you take it serious, because it only takes one random journalist that knows nothing about this subject to read some of this "scary" reading and decide its scared him/her enough to "go" public as "scientist says LHC will doom us all", or something like it.

Last year on september 9th the media did this to sell more news and get people watching, and guess what happened
Chayya Lal

Asharita, Sarangpur, India

Suicide

September 9, 2008

She was traumatized by TV programs about the opening of the Large Hadron Collider, which talked about the end of the world coming. Her parents told her not to worry and diverted her attention to no avail. She drank a pesticide from her father's farm.
Yup some young girl couldnt cope with all the science and scary words and took her own life, and we all have a responsibily NOT to allow that to happen in the future.
you got to admit that is sad she was a year younger than me at the time i had the same fears
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue May 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Hey draph91, welcome on board. I recognize your username from 2012hoax.org. Do you want to tell us more about yourself and your fears? There are several people here who used to be afraid of the LHC (myself included) and will happily address any concerns you might have.