Portal links changes 11/25/09

Suggestion you might have for new links for my CERN portal page or suggestions for the forum
Xymox
Site Admin

Portal links changes 11/25/09

Post by Xymox » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:10 am

I cleaned up the portal links..

I also added a bunch of stuff. Mostly boring stuff for public users. However CERN employees might like it. The site continues to get a large number of CERN user, so I added links that might help them. MMM mail and other stuff...

If anyone has suggestions for links let me know...

drippingwet rat

Re: Portal links changes

Post by drippingwet rat » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:49 am

i think more blinking lights around edges or colors to take the pause off the time displacement energy around us

Tim Bergel

Post by Tim Bergel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Definitely not more blinking lights ...

Your comment about lots of users from CERN made me think - is there any chance that someone from CERN could post a short guide to the "page 1" and "Status op" displays? Some of the items are fairly obvious but others are completely opaque - it would really be useful to have a short description of what BKGD 1, 2 and 3 represent (backgrounds I assume, but what are the three types) and such items as TED T12, TDI P2 and the four graphical displays in Page 1.

Just a thought - anybody helpful from CERN out there?

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:48 pm

welllll.....

I think this web site created a bit of controversy. Also I don't think CERN users are supposed to talk about internal stuff at all.

I think they would enjoy doing that, but I just don't think they can.

During my emails with CERN representivities some questions simply go unanswered in emails. I understand why. They simply cant discuss the topic or question I asked.

I understand and respect this.

So... We might kinda be on our own. BUT its also kinda fun to do this ourselves :)

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Im all for blinky lights and big gnarly looking buttons, but they would be distracting if I used them on the site.

Mr Rat... If you want blinky lights, try out the forum style X-Treme..

Choose it from the "My Forum Style"
ucp.php?i=165

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:38 am

I understand that employees of CERN are not allowed to anser just any kind of questions, but when they make a webpage open to the public like "page1" then there should be no reason not to explain at least the meaning of the things and words shown there.
In my opinion they wether have no time to explain that here or theyare just not paying attention to projects like this portal.
bye

chriwi

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:09 pm

I think we have some LHC people here on the forum. I think we will figure this stuff out on our own shortly. Yes they are busy people.. But yes, I think it would be cool to get a official CERN presence on this forum.

We do get 100 IPs/People a hour on the portal. Its not dropping off, its staying steady now. The last three says have been really pretty steady. All the news hype has died off and now the majority of people coming to the site are coming from bookmarks they did rather then from a news/forum mention of the site. So we have a around 2400 regular users a day now. I would imagine this will just continue to grow slowly over time. Interest will of course drop off. However those bookmarks will stick around and any news media coverage will cause them to all click on the bookmark..

I think if CERN was smart, they would use the forum to their advantage. They can explain problems, delays and talk about technical milestones. Then can also completely demystify the project by providing a real transparent view of what they are doing. They can talk about exactly what they are doing everyday in clear terms.

NASA has many high profile projects VERY visible to the public. NASA TV is a example. If something goes wrong they are explaining it live on thier own TV channel.

pcatom
LHCPortal Guru

Post by pcatom » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:56 pm

Page 1 is dynamically configured depending on the mode of the machine so the information available will vary.

Here are a few definitions to be going along with:

TI 2 - is the transfer line between the SPS and the LHC for the clockwise beam. It is 2943m long.
TI 8 - is the anticlockwise transfer line from the SPS to LHCand is 2694m long

TED - stands for 'Target Extraction Dump' There are stoppers that can be put into the transfer lines there is one at the top and one at the bottom of each line (upstram and downstream) . Each one weighs about 20 tonnes.

TDI - this is an injection protection element just downstream of the injection point. It has upper and lower jaws that can be moved into the beamline. If the injection kickers fire correctly the beam will be fired through the gap between the jaws. If the kickers do not fire - for example when we are setting up injection - the beam hits one of the jaws and is absorbed.

BKG1,2,3 - These are figures of merit provided by the experiments to the machine. Each one is derived from a specific part of the detector (and are therefore experiment specific). They are normalized to a number between 1 (good) and 5 (bad) - 0 means it is not yet active.

Hope this helps.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 pm

I copied your explanation over to the "what do the displays mean" thread..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46&start=0

That thread needs some help...

Also

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71 needs help..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:38 pm

I have added a new section. Correctly located by Danny252..

Its all the public documents in CERN...

Yes it is rather extensive... However its pretty well sorted..

You do need a external account to access some of it..

The portal now has a EDMS section...

Tim Bergel

Re: Portal links changes 11/25/09

Post by Tim Bergel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Well it looks as if a few members of CERN (LHC_Insider?) have been able to give us a guide to Page 1 and LHC ops...

Thank you so much :D

I do hope CERN sees this as a positive thing, I would have thought it's great publicity.

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Harbles » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 pm

I sent an e-mail to CERn asking about OP-Vistar info and they replied back that the issue would be addressed in an upcoming issue of the Bulletin.
http://cdsweb.cern.ch/journal/CERNBulle ... les/?ln=en

I do appreciate the efforts of those here who have already done this of course. Thanks! :D

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:31 am

We have been emailing the guy who wrote the vistars.. he has provided MUCH useful info...

Danny252 and I worked directly with him. Mostly Danny252

This CERN employee is also very busy as he works shifts running the various accellators. He has been with CERN 16 years in fact...

They are working to get us more info. However it has to happen in thier spare time. Which I respect.. Page 1 and Status-op have had a number of issues lately and he is VERY busy with them...

We will eventually get great info on them..

March_Hare

Post by March_Hare » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:11 pm

That's great news!

I can be patient...
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams