What do you think of 2012?

Anything unrelated to the LHC
CharmQuark
Site Admin

What do you think of 2012?

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:37 am

There are a lot of people out there that are so scared of 21st of Dec 2012, I have often wondered what they are actually scared of? do they know themselves? is it the fact people say the end of the world?

Ok so the Mayans an ancient civilisation apparently said that because their calendar finished on the 21st of Dec 2012 that would be the end of the world? hmmm something don't quite fit there, it is clear that their calendar has finished before 2012 so why all the hype this time round? Well for one the internet is not helping is it? the crack pots are out in full force over this. There is talk about Planet X, Nibiru, world wide earthquakes, even Yellow stone erupting I am looking forward to that one myself nothing like a KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM to shake you up :crazy:

Anyway I was wondering what your take on things are? its going to be something that everybody is talking about in the next year so my not talk about it here also. give me silly explanations, pics, the science, the physics, anything you have got or want to say, even a simple omg it is BS. I want to hear you thoughts on this :thumbup:

CQ.
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Re: What do you think of 2012?

Post by DCWhitworth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 am

If those Mayans were so clever how come their civilisation died out ?? If they didn't see *that* coming why should we take anything else seriously ?
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:04 am

Wikipedia: Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:54 pm

DCWhitworth wrote:If those Mayans were so clever how come their civilisation died out ?? If they didn't see *that* coming why should we take anything else seriously ?
Haha true :scared-yipes:

Love that pic Kasuha!!! :D
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Alisia wrote:Well, to tell the truth I don't know what to think about it, but you can deny several things
1) the climate is changing
2) the political situations in lots of countries are tense
3) not speaking about economic crisis.
And these factors can lead to the scaring scenarios that are described in news.
1. The climate is constantly changing, always has, always will.
2. Let me know when you find a period of history when there weren't a lot of tense (inter)national political situations.
3. They come around quite often.

What news stories are you talking about, I don't recall any saying the world was going to end or anything close. What news outlet have you been paying attention ? Harold Camping ?
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Harold Camping is the laughing stock of the christian community he has made so money off people that are scared it is unreal.

Climate change won't kill us anyway, it will change our weather patterns, more bad storms, floods, things like that everything will go extreme but it won't end the world.

The world will end one day, but in the sense that we will no longer be here the world its self will still be here its not just gonna one day decide to implode or explode. not until 5 billion years from now when the sun goes supernova and fries us anyways lol.

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 pm

DCWhitworth wrote:2. Let me know when you find a period of history when there weren't a lot of tense (inter)national political situations.
Ever since the invention of the atomic bombs there is a whole new level of danger for this planet. One nucleair warhead can destroy a whole city and produce a lot of fall out. And there are a lot of these on our planet.

source: http://www.cdi.org/nuclear/database/nukestab.html

Aside to that there is the LHC that inceases energies, curiosity killed the cat ... but that's a whole different story :mrgreen:
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Chelle wrote: Aside to that there is the LHC that inceases energies, curiosity killed the cat ... but that's a whole different story :mrgreen:
LOL Chelle!! that is not till 2014 and well I am expecting myself to freakout completely when it happens :roll: least I have plenty of time to prepare but then again if we all die on the 21st of Dec next year I will not have to worry about it will I :scared-eek:

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 am

CharmQuark wrote:LOL Chelle!! that is not till 2014
Yep 3 times the current energies, sorry for pilot waving ahead from 2012 , I'm in a neutrino state of mind :mrgreen:
CharmQuark wrote:and well I am expecting myself to freakout completely when it happens :roll: least I have plenty of time to prepare but then again if we all die on the 21st of Dec next year I will not have to worry about it will I :scared-eek:
So you are really curious about 21/12/12 ... who knows ... silly coïncidences happen all the time.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Chelle wrote: Yep 3 times the current energies, sorry for pilot waving ahead from 2012 , I'm in a neutrino state of mind :mrgreen:

So you are really curious about 21/12/12 ... who knows ... silly coïncidences happen all the time.
Chelle you do crack me up :wtf: :thumbup:

I am really curious about it, kinda gives me a thrill I mean I know enough about it not to be scared and I have helped a few people over come their fear, but I like to know what everybody else thinks, it is a big topic and it is going to get even bigger over the next 13 months. but then again next month we have the whole 11/11/11 thing woohoo :scared-yipes: so the end of the world is always going to be a very big feature in our lifes, new crackpots, new theories, new dates :crazy:

Good times!!!