Xymox
Site Admin

Maybe dark matter and energy don't exist after all

Post by Xymox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:07 pm

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Re: Maybe dark matter and energy don't exist after all

Post by chriwi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:12 pm

That reminds me of the decades people belived in Popeye and the unusual high concentration of health iron in spinach which olny later turned out to be an error in the method the ironconcentration was measured.
bye

chriwi

Kasuha

Re: Maybe dark matter and energy don't exist after all

Post by Kasuha » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:39 pm

I don't understand one thing. They were investigating smoothing introduced by the instrument. To counter this smoothing, WMAP introduced deconvolution which sharpened the data back. If there was more smoothing than expected, then the deconvolution should have been stronger, not weaker - and that suggests the differences in the background were actually bigger, not smaller.

And one more thing is - even if they were right it would just mean that some of the image features don't need to be backed up by dark matter or dark energy. But as far as I know the dark energy "discovery" does not come from investigating cosmic background, it comes from investigating distant supernovas - which suggests the universe accelerates for which there needs to be a reason, which was called dark energy. So if they want to disprove dark energy, they need to explain these supernovas first.