The Flux of Cosmic Rays versus LHC

The place to discuss particle physics
chelle

The Flux of Cosmic Rays versus LHC

Post by chelle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Just made a graph of the Flux difference for a small area (cm^2 per second) between nature and the machine, based on a graph form the IceCube Collaboration. Anyone an idea where to add in a BlackHole or a Supernova, because stars like our Sun with a heart that is 100.000 times colder than the LHC don't come very close to this experiment to use as a safety reference.

In nature there are about a thousand Cosmic-ray collisions of a few GeV’s (1 GeV= 10^9 electron Volt) per second per m^2. In LHC it are about one 1 billion per second per cm^2. That’s 1.000.000 times more for an area which is 10.000 smaller, it is a density & frequency difference of 10 billion and unique in the Universe.

At the end of last year we humans have even generated collisions on this planet, that were an other 1000 times more intense, with energies of 8 TeV (1 TeV= 10^12 eV). These collisions are in nature of course less frequent per m^2 while the density & frequency at the LHC of 10 billion per cm^2 was maintained.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: The Flux of Cosmic Rays versus LHC

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Chelle does alot of his own research :D always interesting to read :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi Marc,

You just need to check out the graphs and add up the numbers, 'my own research' as lady Charms complements me with :mrgreen: isn't very sophisticated, here's one of the best pages regarding the LHC if you are interested in the some more detailed specifications:

http://www.lhc-closer.es/1/4/10/0

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Chelle! it's been a long time since I have been called a lady lol :D As for your work not being sophisticated it defo gets the job done eh :mrgreen: I have to admit I don't understand most of it, but I try my best lol :scared-shocked:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Are they calling you duchess de la lhc these days ; )

btw I wouldn't describe it as work, rather one basic argument; and a simple comparison would be rain drops, one every now and then (light or even super heavy) isn't anything serious to worry about as nature has shown us, but on the other hand squeezing a billion almost at once into one tiny space is something unique and unseen before (except for super novae), and who knows the high frequency & density could turn those harmless drops in to a pretty edgy stonecutter ...