Summer student lectures

The place to discuss particle physics
zaim

Summer student lectures

Post by zaim » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:49 pm

While you wait for collisions, there are many hours of entertainment in watching the summer student lectures:
http://indico.cern.ch/tools/SSLPdisplay ... &nbweeks=8

The summer student program is a summer school for ~140 student every summer. I attended the 2009 summer program, and it was a really great experience. For most of July there are lectures on everything from accelerator physics, and electronics to particle physics and cosmology. These lectures are recorded and freely accessible on the above website.
Some of the lectures are best suited for people with a physics background, but many of them can be seen by people with other less theoretical backgrounds. (just jump right into 'Beyond the Standard Model'). Everybody should be able to follow the 'Introduction to Particle Physics (for non particle physicists)' however.

Hope you will find them informative and entertaining.
Cheers Anders

PS: if you wanna watch the accelerator lectures, it might be a good idea to watch the 2008 lectures since one of the recordings are missing. You find the link to 'Previous Year Lecture Program', at the top of the page.

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Re: Summer student lectures

Post by Harbles » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 am

Ah another connoisseur of the CERN library. There is this thread http://lhcportal.com/Forum/viewtopic.ph ... 52&start=0 that also celebrates this repository of knowledge.

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Harbles » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:21 am

Zaim
I'm sorry I did'nt read completely your post to the effect that you attended in '09. Very Cool.

I am a lay person science enthusiast and as such lack the tools to communicate effectively on matters of import wrt real science in general But I am fascinated by the kind of person who makes their career out of trying to understand and define nature. Especially nature at microseconds after the Big Bang.
So I look forward to hearing your thoughts on theses Historic times of discovery.

rhiansung14

Post by rhiansung14 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 am

My nephew was also attended such program in their school. They have a student lectures about math, science and English. And we found it nice because my nephew gain more knowledge about this lectures.
My online grammar.

patricia39

Post by patricia39 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:45 am

I have also attended that summer student lecture last July and it was such a great experience. Because of that lecture, I have learned everything from accelerator physics and electronics to particle physics and cosmology. Thank you!

Meki21

Post by Meki21 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 am

Such a nice program i was attended

RocketManKSC

Post by RocketManKSC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:00 pm

http://indico.cern.ch/scripts/SSLPdispl ... &nbweeks=9

Link to this years Summer Program. For some of the more advanced subjects like >> The SM . I have been looking at the presentation from 08, 09, and 10 part 1 then the same for part 2. There is a lots of style and information difference between the presenters :rolleyes: