Older Events and discussion 3/22/10

The place to discuss the LHC. Commissioning, operation, issues, events ....
Danny252
LHCPortal Guru

Re: What do the displays mean ?2

Post by Danny252 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

amiso wrote:Today is March 31th.
You sure about that? ;)

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: What do the displays mean ?2

Post by CharmQuark » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Danny252 wrote:
amiso wrote:Today is March 31th.
You sure about that? ;)
My God i must have slept through my Birthday :shock: wonkie :lol:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

jmayes

Re: ** Current Events and discussion **

Post by jmayes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Just checked in, looks like 3+ hours of both beams at 3.5TeV and holding! Looking good for a big event! (but no detectors are switched on yet)

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

everybody wait for the 30th :thumbup: gonna be one hell of a birthday present for me :happy-jumpyellow: can't wait :dance:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Wallmott

Post by Wallmott » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:28 pm

jmayes wrote:Just checked in, looks like 3+ hours of both beams at 3.5TeV and holding! Looking good for a big event! (but no detectors are switched on yet)
Have the beams crossed path yet? but without the detectors on?

jmayes

Post by jmayes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Wallmott wrote:Have the beams crossed path yet? but without the detectors on?
There are magnets to keep the beams apart in the experiments but so far they have not been used so there could have been collisions but since they have only 1 bunch in each beam and are keeping them out of sync with each other it was unlikely.

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Harbles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Wallmott wrote:
jmayes wrote:Just checked in, looks like 3+ hours of both beams at 3.5TeV and holding! Looking good for a big event! (but no detectors are switched on yet)
Have the beams crossed path yet? but without the detectors on?
Beams have not been made to collide at 7 TeV but expected collisions was announced officially today http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressRel ... 6.10E.html (Champagne!)
It better work at 9:00 AM CERN time as they have live satellite feed booked http://press.web.cern.ch/press/lhc-firs ... /schedule/ lol

I think the detectors are on to collect whatever events occur (cosmics, Beam on particles in the vacuum, collimator and beam scraping) just to try and analyse as many events as possible to do calibration on the detectors before the fire hose of events actual collisions at high energy and luminosity produce. For example this CMS DAQ display http://cmsdoc.cern.ch/cmscc/cmstv/cmstv ... frames=yes has the instrument set to Physics on Random on and Calibcyc on. which I believe means they are trying to capture what ever event may occur for whatever reason. I would think the other experiments are doing this too.