Time slip?

The place to discuss the LHC. Commissioning, operation, issues, events ....
BenM

Time slip?

Post by BenM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 am

Has anyone noticed that Page 1 isn't always updated in real time - for example last night it was 30 minutes behind), and that the time on the FCBT graph is (at the time of this post) 17 minutes behind real time?

Are the CERN chappies making sure they get to see the running data before we do? not that I blame them :)

/me puts on TFH
perhaps they want to make sure we don't leak something they aren't too happy about?
Or perhaps they don't want the Tevatron chppies spying on them?
/me takes off TFH and bins it

B.

March_Hare

Re: Time slip?

Post by March_Hare » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Yup, think I noticed that too.

No idea why, might be intentional, might be due to simple connectivity issues. I doubt that the Control Room uses the same server for their own status updates as the public webserver we get the data from.
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams

BillyPilgrim

Post by BillyPilgrim » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:12 pm

I believe I noted in the logbook that page one was not updating properly. The problem was referred to an expert. This would account for the time slip IMO.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:17 pm

I've noticed that they often don't update the graphics in the middle of page 1 if there's nothing worth showing.
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

jmayes

Post by jmayes » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, there is a lot of page1 problems all over the notebook, it has made the operators hyper quick to reboot which was noted today they should wait at least 2 minutes. That said I am sure they have a proxy server between us and the CCC which is what creates the 10 sec snapshots, it would be insane to let outsiders to possibly overload the primary page1 server. Also is a very simple thing to put a time delay (in the proxy) which I would think be prudent, if something did happen I'm sure they would rather a press release to trigger the media then one of us :) I think the log is also delayed as well.

However I could be completely wrong about the time delay so anyone that gets page one real close to real-time let us know the delay.

J