Underground webcams

The place to discuss the LHC. Commissioning, operation, issues, events ....
seabass

Re: Underground webcams

Post by seabass » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:38 pm

wavesoft wrote:You can find some audio from the Collimator here : http://lhc-collimation-project.web.cern ... movies.htm

Very cool.. Thank you!

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

wavesoft wrote:You can find some audio from the Collimator here : http://lhc-collimation-project.web.cern ... movies.htm
My first reaction to hearing this was "Holy &^%$ !!"
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

seabass

Post by seabass » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:56 pm

DCWhitworth wrote:
My first reaction to hearing this was "Holy &^%$ !!"

My first reaction was...

Pure Energy by Information Society

:mrgreen:

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:56 am

O M G Information Society... I liked them... The correct song is "whats on your mind ( pure energy )"

The real video is no where on you tube, but a close mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDa4D5I3 ... re=related

Star Trek samples abound.

I need to ask permissions to use these sounds on the site.

Im curious why we loose should right before impact.

Also there are some impressive low frequencies in there. I will look at it with some sophisticated sound analysis gear I have

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:25 am

I sent a email to A. Masi, S. Redaelli, G. Spiezia asking permission to use the sounds.

I want to put one on the main "Whats all this then" section for new people

daavery

Post by daavery » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:26 am

the system should be almost silent, the beam is in a vacumn, the protons weigh almost nothing. and sound from the collimator should be at some multiple of the beam revolution frequency ( 11245 hZ) which would be a high pitched squeal or ultrasonic. The dump would be a big bang ( dump lasts 88uSec ) and what you hear would be the ringing of the mechanical parts and the sound bouncing around the room. the main sound would be motors, pumps and power supplies humming. the power ramp up should be silent since it slowly ramps up over a fairly long time and will only ramp up a couple of times a day or less if everything is working right

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 am

If the revolutionfrequency is really arround 11kHz and humanscannot hear much hgher frequencies (not mor than 20kHz often rather below 15kHz for adults and elders) onlyaround one period per round shoud be audible if at all. So that reminds me of the abort gap (a period in every beam where are no bunches of particles), so the changes between bunches and the abort gap (no bunches) could generate a basic sound near to the revolutionfrequency at the colimators.

Only a profound guess.
bye

chriwi

wavesoft

Post by wavesoft » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:39 am

Xymox wrote: ...
Im curious why we loose should right before impact.
I am guessing that the audio level was too high and it temporarily blocked the microphone membrane.

Also, keep in mind that the beams on these impacts were only on 450 GeV. Imagine the sound on 7 TeV!

And finally, on the background you can also hear what it sounds like near the LHC :P (Something like vacuum pumps, fans and similar equipment)

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 am

Well...

I was thinking maybe its a electrical effect from the beams ? Radiation splash on the mic ?

If its overload, we are missing the best part !

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:33 am

Also... am I correct that this sound is actually the SPS beam hitting the collimator for LHC during initial testing and design ?

If so, this is not technically the sounds of the LHC beam hitting it ?

But same effect im sure.

Im sure even more fun when the LHC hits the beam dump. Imagine at 7Tev :)

Someone needs to go put a mic in there. Cant be that hard. Not just any mic though. Its gotta be able to handle the db of the event. I also want good dynamic range and frequency response. Short analog wire run to recorder or ADC. Grab it at 192/24.

I need to work at the LHC and go do these cool things. Jeeze I could go request access to do this on the next access period. Go record all sorts of things.

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Shadowdraxx » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:44 am

yeah that would be great for you and us if u got an invitation to go and look around one day, take plenty of pictures and meet the faces to the names etc, see what kind of folk they are etc etc, and it would be a nice thank you for the work you have put in :)

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:03 am

Shadowdraxx wrote:yeah that would be great for you and us if u got an invitation to go and look around one day, take plenty of pictures and meet the faces to the names etc, see what kind of folk they are etc etc, and it would be a nice thank you for the work you have put in :)
We'd better start an airfare donations fund :D
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:08 am

I don't know if there are any days like that during the years of ongoing LHC experiments.
But I can tell that I was already in the tunnel of the LHC with a group from our college in 1997 when the LEP was already shut off but still installed and the constructuion of the LHC not yet started, I even took some fotos of the LEP-pipe (very thin compared to the LHC cause they didn't need cryosystem and isolation) and on of the huge detectors (I think it was ATLAS) already there at that time.
I dont belive that they allow any visitors there on any day they plan to have a beam, but maybe there are plane longer access periods (maybe a week) where also Visitor groups like mine before are accepted in the tunnel of the LHC. I really don't know if they have time for such publicity events.
bye

chriwi

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:11 am

hahaha...

I have a open invitation now. From a really well placed guy at CERN.

Yes... I would really enjoy it. We could arrange a day for everyone on the portal to come for a backstage tour im sure. That would be just awesome..

Maybe we can plan this for the next down time next year ? We want to go when the machine is NOT in operation so we can go see it up close.

I think thats a really good idea... I would -really- like to do that.

LHCPortal day at LHC..

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:16 am

I would also really like to ga there again. Especially since I live only about 500km from Cern.
bye

chriwi