hello from Romania

New users should check this forum first. Say hi.
bob808

hello from Romania

Post by bob808 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi guys! Nice to find you.
I don't have much physics understanding but I was wondering if anything new has been discovered and documented since they made the 7TeV tests the other days? I tried to find something but only thing that I understood is that ... well...a lot of events were recorded and that's all. Are they working on deciphering what happened as I write this or nothing major happened during the tests and they are still hoping?

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: hello from Romania

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:00 pm

A very warm welcome to you bob :D

It's great to have you here with us :thumbup:

Don't worry i know nothing really about physics either ;) am just here to make the place look pretty :thumbup:

Please make yourself at home :)
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

bob808

Post by bob808 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Thank you very much :) As I was saying ... did they discover anything worth mentioning or no word yet from them on this matter?

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:34 pm

hiya bob :D

There is no word on anything yet :) i am sure we will all get to know when there is ;)
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:05 am

hi Bob welcome.....I'm new here too and I also know very little physics....I know they are getting up to a million collisions a second at times...so I suppose it will take a little while to analyze them :crazy:

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:32 am

Welcome bob808,

this is really a timeeating project, even if the get to high rates and rcord billionsof collissions per day the evaluation of this data will still take month to years until the reallyfind something interesting.
Thats what isexpected, but we never know if any interesting clearly visable effect will show up any dyay.
If they really knewthe outcome and also knew when the will find what, this experiment would be only a waste of money and time. But as I said its not expected to be an experiment which you start once and one daylater you know if you are right or wrong.
bye

chriwi

bob808

Post by bob808 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 am

Oh I understand now. So it's a matter of time until they decode the info from the recordings. I'm really anxious to see what we'll learn from those experiments. As I know the actual technology can't get much further. They can only miniaturize a bit more but then all will eventually come to a halt. We need new alloys and materials to go further with technology so I presume that this step was necessary for material society to evolve. Ofc there will be two sides of the coin at anything we discover. Ethics is a must

Thank you very much for your answers and hope we all have a nice stay here.