Question about LHC Home site, BOINC download link broken

Questions about the computing GRID that processes all the results from the experiments
rhody

Re: Question about LHC Home site, BOINC download link broken

Post by rhody » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 am

Kasuha wrote:I prefer having them switched off while I'm not at them.
I have to half-heartedly agree, I could tune the settings in the preferences, and if and when I get my heat problem fixed I would consider using BOINC clients again. For those who have used it for a long time in your opinions what are the most worthwhile causes or projects ? I would consider LHC@Home as one, what about others ?

Rhody...

rhody

Re: Question about LHC Home site, BOINC download link broken

Post by rhody » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:15 pm

This is just a general observation concerning BOINC and site(s) that download data/work packages to your PC. They are great for checking your robustness of your system, heat, etc... If it weren't for running Einstein@home work packages on my two AMD CPU cores the other evening for 30 minutes or so, I never would have been able to reliably reproduce the overheating problem. The repeated variability in cpu use and stress is what caused my power supply to shut the PC off. That being said, I would like to ask a question of the folks who monitor this forum.

Is there going to be more work available to the folks who use LHC@home, and if so, when ? and for Sixtrack and Garfield use, or any new applications not deployed yet ?

Thanks...

Rhody...