Particles That Flock

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
chelle

Particles That Flock

Post by chelle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:19 am

An interesting article in Scientific American:
Particles That Flock: Strange Synchronization Behavior at the Large Hadron Collider
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... that-flock

I'd say it's because of drafting (as in aerodynamics) in the Aether.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Kasuha

Re: Particles That Flock

Post by Kasuha » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 pm

The phenomenon is not yet explained not because there is no explanation for it, rather because there are too many. Adding aether to the mixture solves nothing.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 am

Kasuha wrote:The phenomenon is not yet explained not because there is no explanation for it, rather because there are too many. Adding aether to the mixture solves nothing.
Your comment is a bit contradictive, the only explanation given in the article is this one:
“It is not implausible,” Wilczek says, “that the gluons in that medium interact and are correlated with one another, and these interactions are passed on to the new particles.”
And regarding drafting, you need a medium for it to happen.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:36 pm

It's a news article and it is well-known fact that it drags much more reader attention if the article is about mystery than if it's about science. Once again, the golden rule applies: if you don't know about something it does not mean it does not exist.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Kasuha wrote:It's a news article and it is well-known fact that it drags much more reader attention if the article is about mystery than if it's about science.
I always thought that scientific research is about finding out how the mystery works.
Kasuha wrote:Once again, the golden rule applies: if you don't know about something it does not mean it does not exist.
True.