Chelle goes on ...

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
chelle

Re: Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Post by chelle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:44 am

tswsl1989 wrote:
tswsl1989 wrote:... or you need to pump a very specific metal film using microwaves. So that paper is irrelevant to your arguments.
... refers specifically to the second paper.
Correct, the 2nd paper says that if you pump "solid films of the compound yttrium-iron-garnet" you can generate BEC at regular temperatures, other matter seems to be just one step away, ... of course easier said than done.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 am

Basicly I agree, but still regard the LHC some powers of ten more dangerous than cooking soup, but that still leaves several ten powers of ten for the LHC being safe.
bye

chriwi

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:20 am

chriwi wrote:My statement was that your theories about the possible outcome of the LHC are so far fetched, that also most other new experiments or actions could be connected to dangers in the same way ...
Apparently the size and the impression of ultimately high energies lets the LHC become an easier target for fears than many other smaller experiments which could be connected to dangers with the same arguments ...
That is true, but the big difference is the concentration of frequencies and luminosity that penetrate matter. You can't light a candle by clapping your hands, you need to concentrate the energy to vaporize the wax. Here we have a similar situation where a lot of energy is being focused in a very refined and energetic way, this is unique. My hypothesis of combustion is perhaps far fetched, but in nature very common, and something worth to think about.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 am

I think all BEC scientists would be in seventh heaven if all they needed to operate BEC was big tank of liquid helium and strong magnetic field.

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Shadowdraxx » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 am

WTF ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT!!!!

Why is every damn thread being turned into a frigging BEC event thread

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:58 am

At least it is the starter of the tread who turned it into a EBC-thread.
Besides that it misleading to users who search for "Hawking" and "Aliens", it is almost ok for me when the starter of a thread changes the topic.

@Chelle:
Cumbustion might be familiar in chemical reactions, for particle- and highenrgy-physics it is unprecedented, not even in supernovas or other high-densety-high-energy-events.
Since there is no precedence for any kind of nuclear combustion (besides fission and fusion of certain nuclei (what is understood quite well)), it seems to be far fetched to assume the ikelyness of such kind of reaction under such conditions.
bye

chriwi

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 am

Shadowdraxx wrote:... Why is every damn thread being turned into a frigging BEC event thread
Yeah-yeah-yeah, there are plenty of other threads here that you may find interesting if you don't like to talk about one particular phase of matter. Personally I find it a cool subject to talk about, btw check this out:
Harvard Physicist Plays Magician With the Speed of Light

and to illustrate:

source: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 93_F1.html

I find it to be interesting in relation to this previous discussion:
Mailo wrote:
Chelle wrote:
Mailo wrote:When the next collision happens, all effects of the previous one are gone.
That is something you assume, how do you know?
I know how fast ionization recombines. I know how fast the created particles are. I know the collision happens in a better vacuum than outer space and the created particles rapidly spread out from there. When they encounter matter (e.g. detectors) they are already well separated and do not interact with each other.

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:14 am

chriwi wrote:@Chelle: Cumbustion might be familiar in chemical reactions, for particle- and highenrgy-physics it is unprecedented, not even in supernovas or other high-densety-high-energy-events...
Yeah I know it is nuts!

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 am

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 am

Kasuha wrote:Alien-animal-image
That must be one of those aliens that scares Stephen Hawkings, I'll bet that their working on some sort of a cabin to put around his chair like the popemobile, for protection against one of those.

Anyway I believe we're back "on topic".

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Shadowdraxx » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:19 pm

no mate u don't seem to understand here:

Thread Title "Don't talk to aliens warns Stephen Hawking"

within a page its no longer about it, cant you just like leave it in one place rather nuking every other topic, all your doing here is making me decide not to bother reading new threads, thus killing any conversation based on said supposed thread topic.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Shadowdraxx wrote:no mate u don't seem to understand here:

Thread Title "Don't talk to aliens warns Stephen Hawking"

within a page its no longer about it, cant you just like leave it in one place rather nuking every other topic, all your doing here is making me decide not to bother reading new threads, thus killing any conversation based on said supposed thread topic.
ShadowDraxx :D I have told him about this a number of time :angry-fire: chelle it's time to just stick to one thread, please don't make me say it again.........are you wanting to be heard that much? by spamming 4 threads now saying the same things? people will get bored and will just answering you in the end anyways again i have said enough just think about it :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:28 pm

CharmQuark wrote:chelle it's time to just stick to one thread
Well this is his thread if I'm not wrong so I see no problem if he sticks to it. The fact that thread name is unrelated to contents is not that much of a problem...

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Kasuha wrote:
CharmQuark wrote:chelle it's time to just stick to one thread
Well this is his thread if I'm not wrong so I see no problem if he sticks to it. The fact that thread name is unrelated to contents is not that much of a problem...
Ok let me rephrase that :) he now has 2 threads saying the same thing over and over again, look if nobody is bothered about this then fine, i just don't see the point in having 4 different threads talking about more or less the same thing :eh:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:29 pm

CharmQuark wrote:Ok let me rephrase that, he now has 2 threads saying the same thing over and over again, look if nobody is bothered about this then fine, i just don't see the point in having 4 different threads talking about more or less the same thing.
Emmylou, I always get the impression that your husband, or some offspring of yours is working for CERN, and that you have it taken it upon you to the hush people away who don't see pink bunnies jumping out of the machine. Or is it, judging from that red tampon you use as avatar, still that time of the month?