Symphony of Pseudoscience

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
Stephen

Re: Symphony of Pseudoscience

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:50 pm

This guide might be helpful -
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:07 am

What's Ivans score :crazy:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:30 am

Ivan's score for what? :crazy:

As far as I can see he hasn't made a point yet so how can he possible have a score. :wtf:

Allan :mrgreen:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:33 am

hmmmmm :wtf: he has made enough points to be on that crackpot list :shock: :lol:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

MagneticTrap

Post by MagneticTrap » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:43 am

emmylou wrote:hmmmmm :wtf: he has made enough points to be on that crackpot list :shock: :lol:

No, dear Emmylou!

Crackpots are those, who are ready to die in silence.

CERN will kill all of us, most probably, in a month.
CERN tries to commit the global crime in silence.
CERN closed the possibility to discus the magnetic trap theory in all sci-forums.
I do not understand, why I can still write here, in the “Controversial Topics” sub-forum?
Official Science now is worse than Nazis at the time of the Second World War.

I wish you to open your ayes, to see the danger.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:38 pm

emmylou wrote:What's Ivans score :crazy:
Let's try to find out.

A simple method for rating potentially revolutionary contributions to physics:

1. A -5 point starting credit.

2. 1 point for every statement that is widely agreed on to be false.
(the universe is not expanding, the universe is eternal, the big bang is a hoax).

3. 2 points for every statement that is clearly vacuous.

4. 3 points for every statement that is logically inconsistent.
(something along the lines of "magnetic hole has a binding energy of x bosons, which grows when more x bosons are added to it).

5. 5 points for each such statement that is adhered to despite careful correction.

6. 5 points for using a thought experiment that contradicts the results of a widely accepted real experiment.
(his various computer programs which apparently invalid the cosmic rays argument, his model with bottles).

7. 5 points for each word in all capital letters (except for those with defective keyboards).

8. 5 points for each mention of "Einstien", "Hawkins" or "Feynmann".
(that's easy - he mentions Stephen Hawking all the time).

9. 10 points for each claim that quantum mechanics is fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

10. 10 points for pointing out that you have gone to school, as if this were evidence of sanity.

11. 10 points for beginning the description of your theory by saying how long you have been working on it. (10 more for emphasizing that you worked on your own.)

12. 10 points for mailing your theory to someone you don't know personally and asking them not to tell anyone else about it, for fear that your ideas will be stolen.

13. 10 points for offering prize money to anyone who proves and/or finds any flaws in your theory.

14. 10 points for each new term you invent and use without properly defining it.
(collaptical explosion).

15. 10 points for each statement along the lines of "I'm not good at math, but my theory is conceptually right, so all I need is for someone to express it in terms of equations".

16. 10 points for arguing that a current well-established theory is "only a theory", as if this were somehow a point against it.

17. 10 points for arguing that while a current well-established theory predicts phenomena correctly, it doesn't explain "why" they occur, or fails to provide a "mechanism".

18. 10 points for each favorable comparison of yourself to Einstein, or claim that special or general relativity are fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).
"gravitational collapse is impossible."

19. 10 points for claiming that your work is on the cutting edge of a "paradigm shift".

20. 20 points for emailing me and complaining about the crackpot index. (E.g., saying that it "suppresses original thinkers" or saying that I misspelled "Einstein" in item 8.)

21. 20 points for suggesting that you deserve a Nobel prize.

22. 20 points for each favorable comparison of yourself to Newton or claim that classical mechanics is fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

23. 20 points for every use of science fiction works or myths as if they were fact.
(Phaeton).

24. 20 points for defending yourself by bringing up (real or imagined) ridicule accorded to your past theories.

25. 20 points for naming something after yourself. (E.g., talking about the "The Evans Field Equation" when your name happens to be Evans.)

26. 20 points for talking about how great your theory is, but never actually explaining it.
(he has never explained his reasons to believe in the theory of reproduction of biospheres).

27. 20 points for each use of the phrase "hidebound reactionary".

28. 20 points for each use of the phrase "self-appointed defender of the orthodoxy".

29. 30 points for suggesting that a famous figure secretly disbelieved in a theory which he or she publicly supported. (E.g., that Feynman was a closet opponent of special relativity, as deduced by reading between the lines in his freshman physics textbooks.)

30. 30 points for suggesting that Einstein, in his later years, was groping his way towards the ideas you now advocate.

31. 30 points for claiming that your theories were developed by an extraterrestrial civilization (without good evidence).

32. 30 points for allusions to a delay in your work while you spent time in an asylum, or references to the psychiatrist who tried to talk you out of your theory.

33. 40 points for comparing those who argue against your ideas to Nazis, stormtroopers, or brownshirts.

34. 40 points for claiming that the "scientific establishment" is engaged in a "conspiracy" to prevent your work from gaining its well-deserved fame, or suchlike.
("I'm banned everywhere, the discussion of LHC safety is banned everywhere, they won't allow me to have a job in the science field".)

35. 40 points for comparing yourself to Galileo, suggesting that a modern-day Inquisition is hard at work on your case, and so on.
(he hasn't mentioned Galileo, but I think his accusations are enough ("big bang is a religious dogma, scientists are criminals, Hawking radiation is a crime against humanity, CERN wpn't let me post anywhere, the LHC will cause a global suicide", and so on).

36. 40 points for claiming that when your theory is finally appreciated, present-day science will be seen for the sham it truly is. (30 more points for fantasizing about show trials in which scientists who mocked your theories will be forced to recant.)
(he talks about it in his site).

37. 50 points for claiming you have a revolutionary theory but giving no concrete testable predictions.
(his 4D rotation theory).

tswsl1989
LHCPortal Guru

Post by tswsl1989 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:47 pm

I make that 301
Quite a high score :)

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm

Well done Ivan :clap:

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Don't encourage the troll. :angry-tappingfoot:

Allan :mrgreen:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Bite me Allan :Big Laugh:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm

No, dear Emmylou!

Crackpots are those, who are ready to die in silence.

CERN will kill all of us, most probably, in a month.
CERN tries to commit the global crime in silence.
CERN closed the possibility to discus the magnetic trap theory in all sci-forums.
I do not understand, why I can still write here, in the “Controversial Topics” sub-forum?
Official Science now is worse than Nazis at the time of the Second World War.

I wish you to open your ayes, to see the danger.
Ivan :D

your scared :( i get scared sometimes too :oops: but have you ever just wanted not to be scared just for a minute? to enjoy life? do something fun? take your wife out for a nice meal and a movie, do you have kids????? if so go and take them to the park or do something fun with them, anything to take your mind off everything.........just think about it ok? for me :thumbup: why do you think your still allowed to post here?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:02 am