Several biggest errors of particle physicists.

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
Allan

Re: Several biggest errors of particle physicists.

Post by Allan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:33 pm

RATS! I like my idea of brownies better!

Seriously thanks for the explanation.

I sort guessed as much but found the use of the term 'recipe' for that a bit odd. Maybe it is one of those translation funnies that happen.

Allan

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Going back to my earlier post about RICH detectors, I was checking out the status of LHCb some more and I discovered that during those runs with the strange tracks, they were locked. In addition to the RICH detectors, there were a number of other detectors locked out. I failed to make a note as to exactly which they were since I was more interested in RICH1 and RICH2 at the time.

Allan

Anitusar

Post by Anitusar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:41 pm

A recipe also includes the order of how to setup the electronics. Which is done first and so on, e.g. in which steps the HV is increased or what is turned on when, what has to be on before something else is done and so on.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Allan wrote:Going back to my earlier post about RICH detectors, I was checking out the status of LHCb some more and I discovered that during those runs with the strange tracks, they were locked. In addition to the RICH detectors, there were a number of other detectors locked out. I failed to make a note as to exactly which they were since I was more interested in RICH1 and RICH2 at the time.
Is there any reason behind it? If there was a strange activity in LHCb, then why would they need to lock other detectors?

Mailo

Post by Mailo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Stephen wrote:Is there any reason behind it? If there was a strange activity in LHCb, then why would they need to lock other detectors?
I'm pretty sure it was the other way around. Some detectors were "locked", thus the track reconstruction software was in a weird mode and produced these wiggly lines.
You're again jumping to conclusions, there's not a shred of a hint that there might have been strange activity.
Going back to the images, only the green and purple x and the red and blue bars on the right hand side are real measurements (some of which might still be only electronic noise though) ... all lines connecting them are only the result of a software analysing the data.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks for answering. I should definitely learn not to make wild assumptions before figuring out what actually happened.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:24 pm

drat...

I should have known you guys would instantly clear up what the issue was...

I was hoping for some really great Ivan comments.

We knew the explanation at about the 4th event in the series in chat, we just figured it would be great entertainment and interesting to Ivan.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Yes, we flogged that horse pretty well without any help from Ivan. :dance:

Allan

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Allan wrote:Yes, we flogged that horse pretty well without any help from Ivan.
Ivan was fairly intelligent and realized it would be better not to jump into conclusions. He probably still remembers the incident with the magnetic wasps in Norway.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi Stephen;

I have my doubts about that. I think you give Ivan way more credit then he deserves. IMHO he is nothing but a fear monger looking for someone to frighten.

Allan

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:50 pm

Well my point, besides entertainment, was that completely rational things can be made into magnetic wasps of the devil and cause panic by someone who does not understand the subject.

These completely explainable events could have become a magnetic wasp or worse because of a lack of knowledge of how the process works. Much like Ivan's entire premise.

Anitusar

Post by Anitusar » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:40 am

Xymox wrote:drat...

I should have known you guys would instantly clear up what the issue was...

I was hoping for some really great Ivan comments.

We knew the explanation at about the 4th event in the series in chat, we just figured it would be great entertainment and interesting to Ivan.
:text-imsorry:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Hmmmm :D well i can see this kinda failed :whistle: not to worry :shock: can everybody smile for me please :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 am

We need to respect Ivan's thread. It got off topic so I split the newest posts into a new thread...

The new thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=514

We need to stay on topic in this thread. Ivan's theories.

( ooo i got to test out splitting a topic ! )

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 am

Ivan, how are you doing? Some of us worry when you disappear on us for too long. Did you accept the fact that magnetic holes were impossible to be produced in 3.5 TeV collisions?