Several biggest errors of particle physicists.

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
March_Hare

Re: Several biggest errors of particle physicists.

Post by March_Hare » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:37 pm

I told him that this is not the right forum for him in the very beginning...
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Maybe he discovered the error of his ways and is to embarrassed to come back and admit it. :wtf:

Allan :wave:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:14 pm

who knows and to be honest who really cares :D :oops: thats harsh because sometimes i do miss him being around :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:36 pm

emmylou wrote:who knows and to be honest who really cares :D :oops: thats harsh because sometimes i do miss him being around :thumbup:
Now, now, emmylou, I'll forgive you for your harsh comment. :pray: But personally I must admit if he never posts here again that would be swell by me. :mrgreen:

Allan :sleeping-blue:

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:42 am

In December Ivan was gone for 10 days, but he came back in the end.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:22 am

Stephen The only reason Ivan was gone so long in Dec was it was xmas and new year remember he posted on New Years Day :crazy:

Allan thank you :oops: hehehe :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

MagneticTrap

Post by MagneticTrap » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 am

March 19, 2010. Today night the physicists-criminals from CERN accelerated protons to the record energy 3.5 TeV per beam. At the regions of collisions, probably, the rays were on skew lines (two lines that do not intersect but are not parallel). It is not excluded that there were accidental collisions of protons.
If the collapse was switched, then most probably tomorrow morning all people will start to cosmos.
According to plan the first collisions at 3.5 TeV must be fulfilled the 30-th of March.  

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 am

MagneticTrap wrote:At the regions of collisions, probably, the rays were on skew lines (two lines that do not intersect but are not parallel).
I doubt they'd alter orbit to avoid collisions, they'd need to redo it all for collision course then. There's easier way to avoid collisions, yet it's still shame they must postpone it all. Now that's what I call wasted time, they could be doing at least some physics already.

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:09 am

I don't even belive that they really try to avoid collisiions, they also did not do this las december. Collissions are only not very likely while thay work with only a few bunches which are not intentionally syncroniced for collission. The more they fill the LHC with more bunches of protons I think collisions will occur again before they are really in physics mode.
I am only not sure if they will show it to the public before their meeting like befeore, their intention this time is not to do.
Ist also interesting that exactly the LHCb-detector where early collissions could easyly be observeed the last time appears in an off mode for a long time this year while Alice,which is mainly for heavy-ions already tested physics-mode very early.
bye

chriwi

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 am

MagneticTrap wrote: If the collapse was switched, then most probably tomorrow morning all people will start to cosmos.
You're freaking me out.

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:56 am

I not really understand what you mean by: "If the collaps was switched".
bye

chriwi

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:59 am

It means that if the magnetic collapse started, there won't be any way to stop it. Unless magnetic wasps are created, in which case there is hope of them leaving the planet or only destroying part of Europe.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:01 am

chriwi wrote:I don't even belive that they really try to avoid collisiions, they also did not do this las december.
Last december there was no 'grand opening' planned.
chriwi wrote:Collissions are only not very likely while thay work with only a few bunches which are not intentionally syncroniced for collission.
That's the matter. With two bunches, they always meet at fixed place (actually two places) around the ring. And if they're not chosen to meet at an experiment, they never meet at experiment. Last year they were loading four bunches per beam exactly for that purpose - so that each experiment has a pair.
I don't know if they loaded bunches that meet at an experiment or not but I suppose not, because of that press thing planned. If that's so, all what experiments can get is collisions with environment.
Stephen wrote:
MagneticTrap wrote: If the collapse was switched, then most probably tomorrow morning all people will start to cosmos.
You're freaking me out.
You're just making him happy.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:02 am

Stephen wrote:It means that if the magnetic collapse started, there won't be any way to stop it. Unless magnetic wasps are created, in which case there is hope of them leaving the planet or only destroying part of Europe.
God loves us all so if anything dangerous happens he will pop up and stop it.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 am

Kasuha wrote: God loves us all so if anything dangerous happens he will pop up and stop it.
It is not funny.
emmylou wrote:Stephen The only reason Ivan was gone so long in Dec was it was xmas and new year remember he posted on New Years Day
I remember it. Ivan even showed us a photo of him when he was younger.